Birds of a Feather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from beck3906

beck3906

Flock Together.

Tonight's production run...11 total. Still not worried about fingerprints and such yet. Still testing Photoshop Elements with light box before I begin making production photos.

Attachments

• Fathers1.jpg
    Fathers1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Feather2.jpg
    Feather2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Others.jpg
    Others.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

That's not a bad little production run Rick, it's a lovely looking group of pens. There are two that I'm not all that fussy about though, and it's the two that are done on the gun metal type kit. Personally, I think that the black helps highlight the feathers better.
Len

Oh Man!!! How do you do that!!! The feathers I mean. I spent the last couple of days trying to do some feather blanks. I did them, but nothing like yours!!! (I thought about posting mine when finished, but after seeing yours I am not to sure! :redface:)
I have spent hundreds of dollars trying to find the right feathers. What are you using and where do you get them? (Hope you're willing to share your secrets :))

socdad

Oh Man!!! How do you do that!!! The feathers I mean. I spent the last couple of days trying to do some feather blanks. I did them, but nothing like yours!!! (I thought about posting mine when finished, but after seeing yours I am not to sure! :redface:)
I have spent hundreds of dollars trying to find the right feathers. What are you using and where do you get them? (Hope you're willing to share your secrets :))

The feathers look to be from a Ringneck pheasant. You can purchase from any fly-tying shop. Bass Pro carries them, about $12 for the entire skin … I purchase mine from Blue Ribbon Flies (http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/shop/category/fly_tying_materials/bird_skins_and_feathers/P10) for $10. The simplest feathers to use are the relatively flat feathers that are on the back between the wings. Purchasing from JohnU (ExoticBlanks carries them) is clearly simpler, and his are FANTASTIC … however if you are like me and like to 'do it yourself' give it a go ...

I can't seam to get them to stay down on the tube while casting. Any tips would be helpful.

I am wondering about that too. The ones I cast are made using thin long feathers and I tie them both sides of the tube. I then take several turns of thread around the ends to flatten the feathers a bit more in the ends.

Top Bottom