Birds eye maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Displaced Canadian

Had this piece that had some slight voids and darker coloring in it and smelled a little like spalted wood. turned it and finished with CA. I'm starting to think that I prefer med. CA to thick CA for finishing because it dries a little faster. All comments and insults welcome. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Birds eye.jpg
    Birds eye.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 545
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I love turning BE maple, and this pen is an excellent example of why! Great pen. Did you just use ca to darken it up?

The blank quite dark before I started to turn it. I just did a regular just CA finish. 6 coats them MM and 4 more then MM. There were a lot of small voids to fill.

Mark

I love the wood. Nicely Done.

I use med. for finishing. Even without accel. it still goes pretty quick.

Bree

That turned out great. The eyes are just the right size. Great job.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

bitshird

Nice pen, a real pretty piece of birds eye maple, I agree about the Med vs thick CA. I seal with a few coats of thin then start laying on the medium, your finish looks great.

Hucifer

Very nice. I have a log of BEM I have been carting around with be for 30 yrs or so. My Dad got it for me from central New Brunswick, and I promised I would make something out of it... still haven't gotten around to it. One of these days I'll start cutting blanks out of it...

el_d

Can anyone tell me how to darken BE maple. I have some, but it is pretty bland.

Thanks, Midi

Use some BLO, It darkens it a bit and help showcase the chatoyance. You can also put a smalll amount of stain in the BLO. The wood wisperer had a videopodcast on how to make Maple POP and had a recipe for the mix.

Very nice BEM, I do like that wood......you did a great job on that pen.

islandturner

Use some BLO, It darkens it a bit and help showcase the chatoyance.

Well you learn something new every day.

I had to google that, and it certainly does apply to some highly figured burl woods. I had a piece of amboyna burl that almost seemed holographic -- like you could see into the wood and the patterns changed, as you turned it in your fingers. I now know that was 'chatoyance'...! :)

To the OP, that is a outstanding pen.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
Top Bottom