Birds Eye Huon Pine Roman Harvest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timberbits

timberbits

Birds eye Huon Pine also known as Burl Huon Roman Harvest.

Huon pine is Australia's oldest living tree and is one of the oldest living organisms on earth. Individuals have been known to reach an age of 3,000 years. Fossil records from a tree found in a boggy area in the southwest of Tasmania were dated at 3,462 years. Only the bristle-cone pine of North America exceeds it in age.
The Huon pine grows at the incredibly slow rate of between 0.3 - 2mm per year in diameter. Despite such slow prowth the tree may attain heights of 40m and commonly reaches 20m to 25m in height.

Sanded to 400 grit, 20 coats of thin CA. Then 400 grit Micro-mesh to 12,000, Brasso and automotive polish/wax.

As always, your comments or suggestions is always appreciated.

Timberbits.

Attachments

• BirdsEyeHuonRH1.jpg
    BirdsEyeHuonRH1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 258
  • BirdsEyeHuonRH2.jpg
    BirdsEyeHuonRH2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 235
  • BirdsEyeHuonRH3.jpg
    BirdsEyeHuonRH3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Birds eye Huon Pine also known as Burl Huon Roman Harvest.

Huon pine is Australia's oldest living tree and is one of the oldest living organisms on earth. Individuals have been known to reach an age of 3,000 years. Fossil records from a tree found in a boggy area in the southwest of Tasmania were dated at 3,462 years. Only the bristle-cone pine of North America exceeds it in age.
The Huon pine grows at the incredibly slow rate of between 0.3 - 2mm per year in diameter. Despite such slow prowth the tree may attain heights of 40m and commonly reaches 20m to 25m in height.

Sanded to 400 grit, 20 coats of thin CA. Then 400 grit Micro-mesh to 12,000, Brasso and automotive polish/wax.

As always, your comments or suggestions is always appreciated.

Timberbits.

The pen looks great! You wouldnt happen to know who would be able to sell a blank of that pine to someone here in the States would you?:biggrin:

David

turbowagon

Beautiful pen in my all-time favorite wood! It's a really nice match to the roman harvest style.

The pen looks great! You wouldnt happen to know who would be able to sell a blank of that pine to someone here in the States would you?:biggrin:

David

David, I have a few blanks in my private stash that I could spare. PM me if you're interested.

- Joe

Nick

Stunning pen in both fit and finish excellent photo as well.
Keep them coming.
Cheers
thanks for the history of the timber

Last edited:

alamocdc

Stunning... beautiful... impressive... I'm at a loss. None of those do that small hunk of timber or the finish on it any justice, and that's just from the photos. The last time I saw a piece of pine with that much character I was in high school wood shop. The year was 1969 and it was a beautiful piece of Ponderosa Pine with red and green streaks through it. That is when I fell in love with all things wooden and that is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this pen. The character of the grain and eyes struck me the same way as that piece of Ponderosa.

SDB777

I think the Huon is actually one of the prettiest pines to turn, and you sure did this piece nicely!

And it has a great marketing value with it being one of the oldest tree species around. I don't think we here in the States can even pick up BristleCone pine deadwood from the ground without being chased down by the revenue collection officers?

Nicely turned!!!

Scott (flatfoots wood wardens) B

Top Bottom