Birds eye Huon Desk Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timberbits

timberbits

Hi Guys.

This is a box set going out to a gallery. It is a special request for a set made of birds eye Huon.

This will be a gift for a lover of Huon Pine.

Huon pine is Australia's oldest living tree and is one of the oldest living organisms on earth. Individuals have been known to reach an age of 3,000 years. Fossil records from a tree found in a boggy area in the southwest of Tasmania were dated at 3,462 years. Only the bristle-cone pine of North America exceeds it in age.
The Huon pine grows at the incredibly slow rate of between 0.3 - 2mm per year in diameter. Despite such slow prowth the tree may attain heights of 40m and commonly reaches 20m to 25m in height.

The dagger style letter opener and pen was turned down and sanded to 400 grit sandpaper. 20 thin coats of CA was applied as a finish. It was then buffed down to 12,000 grit micromesh before a final buff of Brasso was applied and protected with Automotive wax.

Comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

Timberbits.

Attachments

• Birds-Eye-Huon-Box-Set1.jpg
    Birds-Eye-Huon-Box-Set1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Birds-Eye-Huon-Box-Set2.jpg
    Birds-Eye-Huon-Box-Set2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 198
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Not a big lover of that pine, but I'd have to say with the pen, letter opener, and box lid all the 'same'....you nailed it!

Did you make the presentation box also?

Scott (got a nice set) B

timberbits

That's a very nice pen set.It should be well treasured. Do you make boxes like that for alot of your pens?
Donny

Thanks for the kind words.

Last year I made about 300 of these boxes. This year I have already made 600 of them. I make the in batches of 50 - 100 at a time now. Hopefully I will make over 1000 this year. They are very popular in the wood galleries, and the huon pine sets are very popular in China because of the age of the wood.

Last year I could not keep up with demand. I am on top of things this year

The boxes are very simple and easy to make. I'll post some instructions on my blog in the near future.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom