Birch root burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick P

Rick P

I cut and stabilized this blank from a birch stump on my property. It started out book matched. I have some eimliar spruce root in solution now.......kinda hoping for some larger inclusions.

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 326
  • Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AKPenTurner

Pretty nice!
Birch (preferably burl) is my favorite wood to work with. A chunk of that burl covered with eyes is, IMHO, one of the most beautiful woods there is...

patmurris

Isn't it amazing what we can find in our backyards! Beautiful wood and pen!

The fit looks oversized at the cap's finial? - maybe it's the picture...

PaulDoug

Very pretty. The beauty of wood working and turning, you look more closely at wood others would just burn or through out.

Rick P

Patmurris: the pic is really bad, the cap has a barely noticeable flare but the fit at the final is tight........one of my better pens but worst photos in some time. I do appreciate the observation though, keep them coming.
I specialize in "Alaskan" materials and the "lost wood" pens have been good sellers, seems there are a lot of folks who like the idea that there pen didn't kill a tree.

Thanks everyone!

Rick P

Paul your spot on on that! Even more so now that I am casting, stuck a couple of burl caps that I wouldn't have able to use otherwise in PR resin last night. Really looking forward to turning them.

Rick P

Bitshird
Ya got to go under ground to find stuff like this. I honestly cut up about 6 stumps before finding this burl. Just keep looking.

Rick P

I have a BIG "back yard"!

Virtually all the wood I work with was "lost wood" from or near our home. Some came from roots unearthed during construction, some were wind fallen, others washed down stream during spring floods. There are a couple of trees too far up the mountain I'm waiting for my son to get big enough to haul out. One is a spalted birch about 2 feet in diameter the other is a very heavily burled birch! The splated one is laying across the trap line trail, it'll come out first, dang thing gets harder to climb over every year! I'll have to take a pic of the burled tree it is unbelievable how gnarled this thing is!

Last edited:
Top Bottom