The Big Wave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Here's a custom FP I've been working on and off for the past several weeks. Just had to many other things on my plate to get it done in one day. I was going for an ocean look when I cast the blank and I have to say I'm really happy with the outcome. I hope you all like it as much as I do. The blank is alumilite and I used a polished steel Schmidt nib. I also left the finish matte on purpose.

Last edited:

vanngo5d

Great job, love the blue with the ocean wave look, What size is it ( threads)
If I did one that looked like the ocean that I see around here it would just be dirty brown. ( The Galveston Gulf)

Janster

You nailed it. An Ocean wave for sure. Geat job!. Be well...................Jan

BSea

That is absolutely beautiful. And I'd have said that even if it wasn't an ocean blank. Looks like sea foam on a dark night. It looks like a dark blue section, or are my eyes playing tricks. Either way, that is so cool!:cool:

Robert111

Reminds me of a Japanese print.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bunnies.jpg
    bunnies.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 347

wiset1

Absolutely stunning brother, you've really captured something special on this cast. I love the dynamic contrast between the colors and like that the color doesn't get muddy in the transition. I'm always amazed and inspired by your work.

Brooks803

Great job, love the blue with the ocean wave look, What size is it ( threads)
If I did one that looked like the ocean that I see around here it would just be dirty brown. ( The Galveston Gulf)

The threads are 12mm triple start cap/body and 10mm for the front section and cap finial.

That is absolutely beautiful. And I'd have said that even if it wasn't an ocean blank. Looks like sea foam on a dark night. It looks like a dark blue section, or are my eyes playing tricks. Either way, that is so cool!:cool:

Thanks Bob! I know you're a bit partial to the look :wink: The section is playing tricks on you. It's black ebonite, but now that you mentioned a dark blue I think I might have to cast a blank to redo the section like that.

attachment.php

How coincidental! I was kinda going off a similar print: http://uploads4.wikipaintings.org/images/katsushika-hokusai/a-colored-version-of-the-big-wave.jpg That's why I used the title for the post :cool:

Absolutely stunning brother, you've really captured something special on this cast. I love the dynamic contrast between the colors and like that the color doesn't get muddy in the transition. I'm always amazed and inspired by your work.

Thanks Tim!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I can't normally see photo-stuffit pics so I had to login on a different machine to see.:biggrin:
Well worth the effort!! It is stunning!!!:biggrin:

Brooks803

I can't normally see photo-stuffit pics so I had to login on a different machine to see.:biggrin:
Well worth the effort!! It is stunning!!!:biggrin:

I'm glad you got a chance to see it Steven, and thank you! I'll try and remember to upload pics to the site along with posting the IMG code.

Jonathan, that is an awesome pen! I think you may be able to make blanks like that professionally.:biggrin:

Thanks Chris! Ya think I've got a shot at going Pro? :cool::wink::biggrin:

BSea

attachment.php

How coincidental! I was kinda going off a similar print: http://uploads4.wikipaintings.org/images/katsushika-hokusai/a-colored-version-of-the-big-wave.jpg That's why I used the title for the post :cool:
I wouldn't be surprised if the artist was the same for both pictures. And until I started to compare them, I didn't notice the rabbits or what looks like birds(not the ones in the sky), faces, people, all kinds of things in the waves of yours Jonathon.

cnirenberg

Jonathon,
I love the matte finish on this pen. The shiny is nice but I think I wouldn't want it on this one. Very cool, and I agree that you nailed the ocean waves on the blank.

edicehouse

I have 2 stances on the blank.
1. I can see that blank being very popular and selling very well.
2. However, I personally don't care for the blank, for me it just seems unbalanced. I understand what you were going for, and you achieved it.

Don't get me wrong if I had a few of these, I would most definatly make them, and probably sell them, but my taste I am on the fence about it.

The actual pen style is stunning of course.

Brooks803

Jonathon,
I love the matte finish on this pen. The shiny is nice but I think I wouldn't want it on this one. Very cool, and I agree that you nailed the ocean waves on the blank.

Thanks Cris! I agree. Sometimes the shine takes more away than it adds.

2. However, I personally don't care for the blank, for me it just seems unbalanced. I understand what you were going for, and you achieved it.

Don't get me wrong if I had a few of these, I would most definatly make them, and probably sell them, but my taste I am on the fence about it.

Thanks for being honest Ed. :biggrin:

edicehouse

Jonathon,

LOL, I guess it's like cars. I do not care for the Corvette, I respect them and can see why people do, it's just not my thing. I prefer Chargers, and many up here would scratch their head about someone liking Chargers more than Vets.

Brooks803

Jonathon,

LOL, I guess it's like cars. I do not care for the Corvette, I respect them and can see why people do, it's just not my thing. I prefer Chargers, and many up here would scratch their head about someone liking Chargers more than Vets.

Unless it's a 50's model Vet I completely agree!

Awesome....You need to take more time and make more pens, being to busy making blanks deprives us all of top notch pens to steal from your house. Just awesome brother!!

Top Bottom