Big thanks to Big Shed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees, or in my case, the nuts for the bolts:biggrin:
I was chatting to Fred 'Big Shed' and was telling him how I was trying to figure out a way to mount a small grinder to my lathe.
His reply was, and I quote......

'Jeesh!!!! You stupid Half-Cast Welsh Pommie plonker!!!! Just use a Dremel!!!' :eek:

Of course he didn't say it like quite like that:wink:.

So after hours of playing with the gears on my lathe, I eventually arranged the gears to do about 0.25TPI.
There is no way a machine can handle that kind of torque so with the lathe off, I attached a crank to the leadscrew.
The inside of the pen was done before the tapering and Dremel cuts:wink:
This is what I came up with. 8 cuts around the pen.
I'm pretty chuffed with it, though it took a lot of sanding and polishing:biggrin:

Attachments

• cutting.jpg
    cutting.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 341
  • closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 354
  • open2.jpg
    open2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

That's what I was going to say Andrew. I think that I will find a new hobby, you guys are killing me. Beautiful work. I have not even had time to watch the dvd for the pen wizard yet.

Jim Smith

Your work is nothing short of amazing! Fantastic designs and beautiful workmanship. Thanks for sharing another outstanding pen.

Jim Smith

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks all:biggrin:

What! Still no clip!! :eek: :biggrin:

Afraid not Keith. :redface: I was going to put one of my wire ones, but didn't think it would look right. Not really sure what would look good. I'm always open to suggestions though.:wink:

When I was trying out the Dremel method, I had a go on a bolt first.
This is a 12mm bolt with 5 spirals in each direction. I wish I had drilled some holes down the middle cos I think it looks ok.

Attachments

• practicebolt1.jpg
    practicebolt1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 146

VisExp

Afraid not Keith. :redface: I was going to put one of my wire ones, but didn't think it would look right. Not really sure what would look good. I'm always open to suggestions though.:wink:

I don't know if you can get it, but how about a hexagonal piece of wire, kinda like an allen key, and twist that.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Dammit Keith:mad: I wish you'd stop putting ideas in my head!!!!:eek: I have a hard enough time as it is.:biggrin:
However, your idea could look pretty cool. Mmmmmm.......
Watch this space......:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm always anxious to see what your next production will be . Not disappointed this time either . Beautiful work Skippy . Glad to hear Fred had some input on this one ! :biggrin:

akbar24601

Great job Steven!!! That pen is absolutely PHENOMENAL!!! If you need to find out if it can weather the States send her over and I'll test drive her for you! LOL

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I realize I've commentd on this previously . But , it just occured to me that , the photos I was viewing were as good as the content . Nice work , Steve !

Top Bottom