Big Ben - Zebrawood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RSidetrack

RSidetrack

This pen proved interesting. The superglue separated on all of the ends. Not sure if I didn't cut it right or possibly a coating of something that didn't let the superglue stick well. Either way, I managed to get it fixed and now it looks great. PS - the last picture you will notice I didn't get the center ring all the way in on the lower barrel (the coupler). This has been fixed. It is on a Big Ben chrome kit.

Cigar-1.jpg

Cigar-2.jpg

Cigar-3.jpg

Cigar-4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Good looking Pen. Did you by any chance use BLO? BLO will prevent CA from sticking well and that is enough to cause "lift" when separating bushings from CA'ed blanks. Even without BLO, oily woods cause that by itself.

The way around this "lifting" is to use the TBC., This one item was the very reason I went to the TBC and did not look back. TBC is much more simple to use with the only drawback being that you being that you can't turn both at the same time.

With TBC, the blank is finished without bushings and therefore no sticking bushings or lifting when bushings are separated. Another advantage is that you size the blank by using calipers, which means much better and nicer fitting of the blank to the parts.

RSidetrack

Good looking Pen. Did you by any chance use BLO? BLO will prevent CA from sticking well and that is enough to cause "lift" when separating bushings from CA'ed blanks. Even without BLO, oily woods cause that by itself.

The way around this "lifting" is to use the TBC., This one item was the very reason I went to the TBC and did not look back. TBC is much more simple to use with the only drawback being that you being that you can't turn both at the same time.

With TBC, the blank is finished without bushings and therefore no sticking bushings or lifting when bushings are separated. Another advantage is that you size the blank by using calipers, which means much better and nicer fitting of the blank to the parts.

Actually when I was at 320 grit I cleaned the pen with blo and then thin ca to fill the grain. Once I resumed sanding the blo comes off and the gaps are filled - however the ends still soak it up which probably explains my issue. I didn't think about that. It might have also been from the wax on the bushings, I might have brought some over to the blank on the first coat.

I am not sure what tbc is but I am guessing you mean in between centers. I have thought of that but I run into a problem with the glue going over the edges. Then I either have to sand ( never goes well) or try to use the barrel trimmer which sometimes works. If I don't I end up with a pen with dead space on each section or when I join the hardware it pushes on the glue and separates. I have not had much luck with between centers.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am not sure what tbc is but I am guessing you mean in between centers. I have thought of that but I run into a problem with the glue going over the edges. Then I either have to sand ( never goes well) or try to use the barrel trimmer which sometimes works. If I don't I end up with a pen with dead space on each section or when I join the hardware it pushes on the glue and separates. I have not had much luck with between centers.

TBC - Yes - Turning between centers.

I also get CA on the ends and it is not a problem for me.

Eighth post down shows a pen mill that uses sandpaper.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/pen-mill-necessary-50112/

Another post on pen mills using sandpaper
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/my-homemade-squaring-jig-48603/?referrerid=5703

ALSO, for me, I place a piece of 320 or 400 sandpaper on a flat surface and rotate with light pressure the CA'ed blank standing on its end with the CA side down. I make a swirl. This might take 30 seconds or a minute. But that is nothing for a well finished pen. I then do it again with MM or 600 for very smooth.

These extra steps and extra minutes is what makes the difference between "very good" and "extraordinary".

Here is a post from 2008 as to the simplicity of TBC as compared to a mandrel.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/truning-without-mandrel-7319/index2.html

Top Bottom