Big Ben - Opposites Attract - Orange/Blue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RSidetrack

RSidetrack

This pen is full of blunders but I kept going as it was a request from my wife to replace one of the first pens I ever made her.

So to start off, I have decided to create a line of casts that I am going to do called Opposites Attract. It is going to be opposite colors on the color chart because they are complimentary. In this case Orange is my wifes favorite color and blue is mine.

This pen is on a Big Ben - Platinum kit.

This casting I was also originally going to enter in the casting contest as my second alternative until I decided not to for three reasons.

1 - The colors are not crisply separated - a rule I believe, they are blended.
2 - Somehow I messed up the ends and flipped the top piece upside down, so the top doesn't really match the bottom :redface:
3 - I came up with an idea which I think will be much better to enter in the casting contest :biggrin:

Another blunder in this cast is I put too much hardener in so bubbles didn't get a chance to escape. Lots of thin CA was used on this piece.

Another blunder was I slipped when taking down the top piece and drove right into the bottom, pulled a big chunk out - more CA.

All in all I think it is a great looking pen and I am very happy with the results considering the blunders. One of these days I am going to start making videos of my pen turning and then create a gag reel :rolleyes:

So without further ado:

Cigar-1.jpg

Cigar-2.jpg

Cigar-3.jpg

Cigar-4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Your reason number 1.....I think with casting the only way to get a perfectly 'crisp line' of seperation would need to be done by segmenting or pouring after the previous color is already hard, and even then the contour of the turning could possibly reveal a 'blending' of color(or haven't I had enough coffee yet)

Regardless, this is a great casting of colors. Congrats on the outcome.

Scott

RSidetrack

Thanks everyone. I am happy with how it came out and my wife loves it.

I am gonna make a few more soon, it is amazing how colors compliment each other.

drgoretex

Cool pen, great colours. The blanks looks fantastic!

I can relate to the blunders. Seems so much of my shop time is spent problem solving: "OK, screwed that bit up. What can I change to still make this a good pen..." :redface:

Ken

Top Bottom