BIG BAD ROB's Red Palm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

I got some of Big Rob's red palm that was some really nice stuff. Had one on the work bench and finished it, hoping it will cheer him up after his little mishap.

Red Palm solid body Jr. Statesmen with a cross cut final. Finish is
3 coats of Deft.

Thanks ROB, get better :)

200584135659_DSC01010.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That is a beautiful pen which compliments the kit. Jr Statesmen are a cut above in elegance IMHO. I have some of Rob's red palm getting ready to hit the lathe.

JimGo

Anthony,
I really like the pen, but I'm surprised by the choice of a solid endcap - one of the things I like about the Statesman series is the fancy designs, by doing this, you take one away! I guess that DOES give you some options for future pens! [;)]

PenWorks

Jim, the original version of the Jr. Statesmen did not have the fancy embossed end cap, so I am not loosing nothing. That was one of the bigger improvements in the Vs 2 change, adding the embossed end cap. Besides, that is the only way to get a collection of spare parts, by not using all of them [:D]

MDWine

I'm glad I ordered some of that... I'm really looking forward to his recovery![;)]

(Take your time and recover, Rob, I'm saving this wood for a better kit, which I do not have 'in stock' just yet...[:D] we're waiting on the other wood anyway, we have lots of time! [^] get well first! )

BigRob777

Anthony,
I don't know how I missed your post before now, but thank you for the cheering up. I love the cross-grain end cap. Was it hard to turn, the cross grain, unstabilized, that is? Gorgeous work.

BTW, (this is an update, not a highjack) the finger is doing fairly well (I think my diabetes is slowing down the healing). I am typing at pretty much full speed and cutting blanks again (no more resawing on my table saw. I was watching a dvd on how to use a band saw tonight and the guy said "Never resaw on a table saw, or you'll regret it.) NOW HE TELLS ME![:D][B)]
FYI:That is how I cut my finger tip off. You know how sometimes you get pen blanks that are rectangular, instead of square ended? Well, I was resawing the thickness of the board, so that I could make the blanks 3/4" square, using my table saw, so don't try it!!! I've done it a hundred times, but no more!

chigdon

I think the design is excellent and you pulled it off well. I have not had much luck with xcut palm personally. Probably one of the best examples of using the grain orientation in the wood as part of the design I have seen despite it's simplicity IMHO.

Dan

A particularly beautiful pen Anthony, the end cap really catches the eye and sets it apart from others.

Could we get you to describe how you cut and joined the peices? I have a good sized box of scraps I've been threatening to do something with, your guidance might just put me over the top.

PenWorks

Originally posted by Dan
<br />
Could we get you to describe how you cut and joined the peices? I have a good sized box of scraps I've been threatening to do something with, your guidance might just put me over the top.
Dan, I just glued the Xcut on the end of the blank with CA and turned it as one piece. The only tricky part is, when turning, it is like going from cutting butter to rocks between the two pieces.

BigRob777

Anthony,
Now I'm really going to show my ignorance here. Which is the butter and which is the rock? I would think that it is softer to do the X-cut, am I wrong? I know that the x-cut chakte viga I turned was as hard as nails though. I want to try different wood next time. After some yellow cedar burl, maybe I'll take a stab at either black sucupira or palm. Straight cut, of course. Also, thanks for the free advertising.[;)] I have to say, that my customers do better advertising than I do.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom