A Bic and a Stick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wb7whi

wb7whi

Something to do with all that boring wood laying around.

The ink is from a Bic type of pen. Use an 1/8 long bit to drill the center on the lathe and the bit becomes the mandril for turning. The jacobs chuck is moved from the tail stock to the headstock.

Hardest part of this pen is the drilling, trying to keep the bit on track. You will find out when you move the chuck to the head stock and check on how true your blank runs.

Attachments

• stick-pens small.JPG
    stick-pens small.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert Taylor

12 cent pen

captain eddie of the bayou woodturners has a video on youtube for this project. i myself have not had any luck in completeing one as of yet. i bought a 1/8" by 6" long bit at ace hardware but can't get the bic refill more than halfway in before it binds. have been unable to locate a 9/64" by 6" bit locally. any other ideas?

Last edited:

wb7whi

Bics

Trim the bic refill to fit. There will still be a lot of ink in there and they are easy to replace. Be sure to wick off some of the ink from the top of the tube before insertion. What is the title of the youtube video? Like to see it.

captain eddie of the bayou woodturners has a video on youtube for this project. i myself have not had any luck in completeing one as of yet. i bought a 1/8" by 6" long bit at ace hardware but can't get the bic refill more than halfway in berore it binds. have been unable to locate a 9/64" by 6" bit locally. any other ideas?

jleiwig

captain eddie of the bayou woodturners has a video on youtube for this project. i myself have not had any luck in completeing one as of yet. i bought a 1/8" by 6" long bit at ace hardware but can't get the bic refill more than halfway in before it binds. have been unable to locate a 9/64" by 6" bit locally. any other ideas?

Order an aircraft drill from MSC/Enco/Mcmaster or the like.

Karin Voorhis

Just a recommendation be careful I did the same drill out on the lathe from this exact Video last year.

1st and 2nd worked great! The 3rd not so good as the bit walked and busted threw the blank right into my finger threw to the bone! OUCH! nasty and bloody it was.

I have the blank as a reminder daily to be careful what I try out to help keep me clear and safe. to date knock on wood my worse shop injury to date. I would like everyone else to learn from my mistake here and skip repeating my stupid Darwin shop moment.

Last edited:

jleiwig

Just a recommendation be careful I did the same drill out on the lathe from this exact Video last year.

1st and 2nd worked great! The 3rd not so good as the bit walked and busted threw the blank right into my finger threw to the bone! OUCH! nasty and bloody it was.

I have the blank as a reminder daily to be careful what I try out to help keep me clear and safe. to date knock on wood my worse shop injury to date. I would like everyone else to learn from my mistake here and skip repeating my stupid Darwin shop moment.

I have a scar from my drilling accident to keep as a reminder to keep my hands off the blank when drilling!

Karin Voorhis

I have a scar from my drilling accident to keep as a reminder to keep my hands off the blank when drilling!

So how is the best way to drill a blank all the way threw since we have 2 of us with battle scars from hold blanks to prove how not to do it.

Top Bottom