A Bevy of Barons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RussFairfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
These are the Barons from the past 2 days. All are finished with CA glue, no BLO. The one on the right got the kit cap because I cut it too short and it ended up with a hole in the top.

2006122915314_Bevy1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

Great looking pens, Russ. Why no BLO? I watched your CA/BLO video on the PMG site today. Do you leave off the BLO when you want a glossy finish?

airrat

Russ you better just send the cap one to me. It reminds me of the song "one of these things is not like the others" (ok my son watched Sesame street today).

They all look great.

Lets see, unk, Snakewood, unk(my favorite), bubinga, unk, olivewood, unk.

just wild guesses, tell us please.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Thanks for the compliments.

To answer some of the questions:

Left to Right the wood is - Russian Olive - Snake - Desert Ironwood - Koa - Koa - Russian Olive - Pacific Yew.

And there are no cracks in the Snakewood - yet.

The odd one uses the Ameroclassic clip because I have a bunch of these clips and I wanted to see how they looked. Other than the clip having a tab and the others a modified ring, there isn't any difference.

These pens were made to practice the clip attachment, so I used a shortcut to a CA finish. If you were to look at the first of the 2 video clips, where the wood is hardened and sealed with CA glue, that is the finish. I just went through the grits to 12,000 Micro Mesh and gave them a coat of wax. I usually later regret not taking more time with the finish.

csb333

Those look great- I really like the closed both end type. How hard is it to do those clips? I have one that turned out well, but I haven't put a clip on it or put it together for that matter, because I'm scared I'll screw it up. Any pointers? - Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom