Better Pic---Cactus Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

I have my lights set back up and wanted to get a better shot of this pen. This is a cactus pen--- powder coated the tubes black--Thanks again Curtis for all the help.

20071111144249_cactusbest.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Gary, on the next one you might want to try a combo of the PC tubes (just because it's so simple) as well as painting the inside of the blank black. I tried the same think hoping I could get the CA to "disappear" but had the same problem with air bubbles. It did give me an idea on just how much "CA bonding" really is there when you use CA though. For me, it was just a little more reason to like the PVA glues when you can see exactly where the CA was stuck and where there were air bubbles between the tube and the blank.

I WILL get one of those dang blanks to look right! I have thought about trying to cut and drill the tube and then placing a PC tube in the hole and re-casting the blank with black tinted resin. If the blank was submerged, and cast under vacuum and then preasure, I think I may just get full coverage inside the blank. The PR needed to do this would be small because the blank would be re-cast prior to turning so I just need to fill the hole and some "cut off" room for the corks. Carefull placement of wood glued to the corks might help keep the tube off the blank but I hope that any air will be gone which is the real problem with these blanks.

OKLAHOMAN

Lee and Gary, I've had good results painting the tubes,also the inside if the blank and useing 5 min. epoxy and adding black paint to the epoxy.
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Gary, on the next one you might want to try a combo of the PC tubes (just because it's so simple) as well as painting the inside of the blank black. I tried the same think hoping I could get the CA to "disappear" but had the same problem with air bubbles. It did give me an idea on just how much "CA bonding" really is there when you use CA though. For me, it was just a little more reason to like the PVA glues when you can see exactly where the CA was stuck and where there were air bubbles between the tube and the blank.

I WILL get one of those dang blanks to look right! I have thought about trying to cut and drill the tube and then placing a PC tube in the hole and re-casting the blank with black tinted resin. If the blank was submerged, and cast under vacuum and then preasure, I think I may just get full coverage inside the blank. The PR needed to do this would be small because the blank would be re-cast prior to turning so I just need to fill the hole and some "cut off" room for the corks. Carefull placement of wood glued to the corks might help keep the tube off the blank but I hope that any air will be gone which is the real problem with these blanks.

Gary Max

Hey Roy---that sounds like it would work---what kind of paint did you mix with the epoxy?????
I have some royal blue powder coating on the way.

OKLAHOMAN

Gary, I use the same spray paint that I used to paint the tubes and blank. I've been useung Rust-oleum gloss black. You might try mixing some of the powdercoating powder in the epoxy.
Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Hey Roy---that sounds like it would work---what kind of paint did you mix with the epoxy?????
I have some royal blue powder coating on the way.

Firefyter-emt

Roy, now that is a very good idea with tinting the epoxy! I will have to give that a try and it will work perfect with the powder coated tubes. If the PC matches almost exact to the tinted epoxy any voids might not show!

Have you been able to "see" the epoxy or does it disappear completely?

OKLAHOMAN

Lee, If you make sure that the inside of the tube is completely painted and dry and you mix the epoxy so its the same color throught out it dissapears.
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Roy, now that is a very good idea with tinting the epoxy! I will have to give that a try and it will work perfect with the powder coated tubes. If the PC matches almost exact to the tinted epoxy any voids might not show!

Have you been able to "see" the epoxy or does it disappear completely?

Firefyter-emt

Thanks... My problem seems to be a "light spot" inside the blank in the paint and the black I use for paint is not the same as the nice gloss from the powder-coat so I can see the defect thru the blank. I know I am asking a lot, but I do not want to see anythin but pure black thru the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom