Betsy Ross / Hurricane Ike Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gagler

Gagler

After the power went out for a while in the Houston area due to Hurricane Ike, the wife and kids went out of town for some electricity, air conditioning, and TV. I, ever the dutiful husband, stayed home to protect the castle from the beautiful new hole in the roof Ike was kind enough to leave us as a parting gift.

Seeing as how there was no power, and I was one of the few who didn't have a generator in the new Generator Capitol of the World, I was unable to spin anything or make funnels on the lathe. So, I pulled out my trusty Betsy Ross pen kit while there was daylight and started applying the CA glue to the stars and stripes and assemble the kit. The stars were very tedious, and while my vision is still intact I really could have used one of those magnifying lamps you see in the dentist office or for people who do fine needlepoint work like my Mom.

Anyway, as usual, I digress.

This is dyed curly maple and the pieces were cut out with a laser by my new friend Ken at Kallenshaan Woods in Las Vegas (in reality he wouldn't know me from Adam, but he does some cool stuff and the next time I go to Vegas I am going to try to go to his studio) - check out his website for some really neat kits for your unique Christmas or holiday gift giving: http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com

After gluing all the pieces, it took me a week to find time to use two-part epoxy to glue it on to tube. After another couple of days, the next step was to square it up with your disc sander. Someone once told me a poor craftsman blames his tools, and I blame my disc sander because I am too stupid to pull out or make a jig to "square" it to the sander as I, being a graduate of Texas A&M, felt like I could eyeball that sucker to the brass tube.

That was a mistake, as the results were something like a texas university vs. Texas A&M graduate would create.

There is a slight gap if you peer up close and personal to it next to the nib. I purposefully backed off from the focus of the camera so you couldn't see it, but seeing how honesty is the best policy I thought I would come clean with each of you. My backing off the camera and cropping the photo has some depth issues - let me work on the lathe issues first, then I'll concentrate on photography!

I feel better already after this moment of confession.

After cursing a bit because of the faulty (craftsman) disc sander, I put it on the lathe, pulled out the skew, and brought that new blank down to size for the Sierra pen. Sanded and micromeshed to 12,000 grit, then applied the now-trusty BLO / CA glue finish. I let the finish cure for 24 hours (a) because I was tired, and (b) I didn't want to screw this pen up. Besides, I've never spent two weeks making a pen before. After it was all dry, I MM'd through 12,000 again.

This is my first post-Hurricane Ike turning, and I felt like I was going through withdrawal. Sorry for the long-winded post. As usual, your comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Regards,

Michael

Attachments

• DSC_0122.JPG
    DSC_0122.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 294
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charles

Beautiful pen. I am in the Spring area and we have had a Bubba fest in pearland before. I too couldn't leave town for the hurricane. Sheriff Dept. had us working 16's w/o days off. Still no vacation allowed. but we got power back after 15 days. YEA!!

Snorton20

I loved reading the article, what a sense of humor. Made me laugh, Thank You. The pen came out nice from what I can't see. (because of the faulty camera) hehe. I like it though.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nice work, Michael. I haven't done that kit yet and plan to get one. You want eye strain? Try the Stars and Stripes pen!!! :eek::wink:

Most hobby shops will have some flip down magnifiers. Mine fit over my glasses and work very well.

LanceD

1.25 power reading glasses are a lifesaver. I have about 12 pairs laying around the house, shop and vehicles. I can't do anything up close without them.

pentex

Great looking pen. I wish I had the nerve to try one of those. I have used Ken for some engraving and he does a super job. One of these days I am going to try and see if I can do one of those pens.

Gagler

Thanks

All-

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. They come with a great set of instructions, it just takes some time and a little patience to get the stars (which are tiny) into the proper fit; the kit comes with 5 extra stars for the inevitable "oops" moment. For me, that was when I thought I had the star lined up and started pressing down only to have it "pop" and fly across the table.

I had fun doing it. I also picked up one of the crossword puzzle pen kits, and that will be next after I make a few slimlines - my "giveaway" stash is getting low, plus I committed to making a few for the Freedom Pens project.

Bruce - in answer to your question, the back view does not have stars - it is a contnuation of the blue-dyed maple.

Cav - bite your tongue on the flip-down magnifiers! While I can't hear thunder, my vision is still allegedly 20-15. Although, I may go by the drug store and get a pair of reading glasses if I do another one of these kits again (my sister wants one).

Harold - bite the bullet and give the kit a try! If you have half the fun I did, it will be well worth it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
All-

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. They come with a great set of instructions, it just takes some time and a little patience to get the stars (which are tiny) into the proper fit; the kit comes with 5 extra stars for the inevitable "oops" moment. For me, that was when I thought I had the star lined up and started pressing down only to have it "pop" and fly across the table.

I had fun doing it. I also picked up one of the crossword puzzle pen kits, and that will be next after I make a few slimlines - my "giveaway" stash is getting low, plus I committed to making a few for the Freedom Pens project.

Bruce - in answer to your question, the back view does not have stars - it is a contnuation of the blue-dyed maple.

Cav - bite your tongue on the flip-down magnifiers! While I can't hear thunder, my vision is still allegedly 20-15. Although, I may go by the drug store and get a pair of reading glasses if I do another one of these kits again (my sister wants one).

Harold - bite the bullet and give the kit a try! If you have half the fun I did, it will be well worth it.

I'll bite my tongue when you wake up and smell the coffee!! :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

Top Bottom