Bethlehem Olivewood with Lapis Stone Inlay.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkirkb94

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

Just did this one. Didn't realize until I started turning that the blank a flaw in it. That is why the powdered Lapis Tru Stone. I also added the cross clip. Kirk [8D]

200411934749_bow%20with%20cross%20clip001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkirkb94

The Lapis Tru Stone came from Craft Supplies, Fred. I saved the shavings from other pens that I made using the lapis. The shavings are kept in a small zip bag (you know the hundreds that you have left over from pen kits [:D]). Just sprinkle some of the shavings into the voids on the pen blanks. Use a small Dremel tool to reshape or open the voids more. Then drop some thin CA on the shavings followed by accelerator and turn down the blank. Finish as usual. I've noted that the shavings with lapis don't seem to turn out as dark as the formed stone though. [?] I've saved shavings from the malachite and turquoise tru stones also. Another nice filler is abalone sea shell also available from CS. I have some examples in my album though it is difficult to see the true beauty in the scanned photos. I almost decided to destroy the pen above because of the voids but remembered the lapis shavings. Kirk [8D]

jkirkb94

I am finding out that the shavings work best if they are very fine ground. I have been having trouble with little white spots left in the area with sanding. May also need to use some linseed oil to clean out the area after sanding. [?] Kirk [8D]

Fred in NC

Fred: Several kinds of crushed stone, including turquoise, in different grits, are available from Bill Baumbeck at:

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Crushed_Stone.htm

wayneis

Kirk, I think that the acelorater is your problem. When you use this it tends to make an uneven serface and you end up getting the air or pin holes. Two things I've found helps, one let it dry by itself two unscrew the cap and put drops of the acelorater on top of the CA. Notice when you spray the ascelorater how the CA sizzles and cracks kinda, its creating air pockets.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom