Best of the IAP Contest pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxwell_smart007

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Scott, are the pens being sent to each judge individually one after the other or were all pens sent to one place where the judges meet up and look at all of the pens together?

Thanks

Justturnin

Well I sure am glad I did not waste my time on this. These pens are out of control. They look machined not turned. Just great looking pens. Really something to aspire to create.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Well I sure am glad I did not waste my time on this. These pens are out of control. They look machined not turned. Just great looking pens. Really something to aspire to create.

Chris
Part of the reward for entering these contests is the level it pushes you to as a pen turner. I dont believe that win lose or draw you would have wasted your time. At least a couple of the entries are from turners that are just starting out and jumped in just to try it. I think its harder and takes more personally to submit a pen knowing the level of competition your entering and that your pen has an uphill battle to win. However those that did it this year will find it easier to enter and compete next year. The birthday bash is just around the corner, start planning your pens now.

GoodTurns

definitely not a waste of time! learning experience alone worth the time I spent to NOT COMPLETE my entry. You can really surprise yourself with what you area actually capable of doing!

Timebandit

Chris
Part of the reward for entering these contests is the level it pushes you to as a pen turner. I dont believe that win lose or draw you would have wasted your time. At least a couple of the entries are from turners that are just starting out and jumped in just to try it. I think its harder and takes more personally to submit a pen knowing the level of competition your entering and that your pen has an uphill battle to win. However those that did it this year will find it easier to enter and compete next year. The birthday bash is just around the corner, start planning your pens now.

I agree. While a lot of people love my pens and might think i have a chance, i am not going to hold my breath. I have seen some of what i am up against and havent seen others. There are some Sleepers out there! I didnt enter this contest thinking that i was going to win this. Dont get me wrong, i WANT to win this, but i didnt enter on the assumption that i had it in the bag, And i knew what kind of talent i was going up against. I also know that my pens arent really Sate of the Art or revolutionary designs. I just make beautiful, what i would call Old School, style pens. Nothing outrageous. I mainly just wanted to be apart of it in case it wasnt around next year. I would be very disappointed with myself if i didnt enter and then i never got another chance. And when i lose, i will try harder next year.:biggrin: Cant wait for the Birthday Bash or the PITH!

Last edited:

Scott

Scott, are the pens being sent to each judge individually one after the other or were all pens sent to one place where the judges meet up and look at all of the pens together?

Thanks

All the pens were sent to the first judge, who will do their thing, then they will send them on to the next judge. After the last judge is done they'll be sent back to me, and I will send them on home to their owners. Whew! :rolleyes:

I am extremely proud of all who entered! It takes some gumption to put your pens out-there in this level of competition. As far as I'm concerned, you are all winners just for entering!

Scott.

Crickett

I was really surprised at the lack of entries for this, I know for some it was lack of time but I wonder if the entry fee held back a lot of people? Don't get me wrong, I feel the entry fee was very reasonable considering the traveling the pens are doing, by the time they make it home they'll be better traveled than most people!! :wink:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If someone used the amount of the entry fee as an excuse to not participate I can understand. If your compentancy isnt that good yet and $20.00 is coming out of your grocery money then yes thats a good reason. If $20.00 wont break you than its just an excuse.

seamus7227

If someone used the amount of the entry fee as an excuse to not participate I can understand. If your compentancy isnt that good yet and $20.00 is coming out of your grocery money then yes thats a good reason. If $20.00 wont break you than its just an excuse.

Well said!!!

firewhatfire

I entered one, and with the one I entered I wish I could swap it for one I have done since then. I learned so much from that pen that it has taken me to a new level. I am currently looking for my next level of frustration in pen turning:eek::rolleyes::bulgy-eyes:. If my pen wins anything I will be honored but I expect to come in a strong 4th place.:beat-up: out of 4 pens.

Thanks to those who sponsored and those who entered. Looking forward to the next round of head scratching fun.:laugh:

Phil

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I entered one, and with the one I entered I wish I could swap it for one I have done since then. I learned so much from that pen that it has taken me to a new level. I am currently looking for my next level of frustration in pen turning:eek::rolleyes::bulgy-eyes:. If my pen wins anything I will be honored but I expect to come in a strong 4th place.:beat-up: out of 4 pens.

Thanks to those who sponsored and those who entered. Looking forward to the next round of head scratching fun.:laugh:

Phil
Have you tried making aluminum pen PARTS yet? THAT, made my head itch for awhile:redface::biggrin:

Timebandit

Scott, any idea how far along the pens are?....2nd judge.....3rd judge?

Not that im anxious or anything:cool:.........Just curious:wink::biggrin:

Top Bottom