Best of the IAP Contest pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxwell_smart007

Phunky_2003

I agree with Mike!!

The important thing is doing the best you can. You definately wont win if you dont enter. Ive entered a few contests hereI havent won yet.... but each time it gets you to push that envelope just a little further. I'm not in the level as some here, but I have a heck of a fun time attempting new ideas.

And its all in good fun and for a good cause.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I will post a couple of pictures No laughing.:eek:
This one was entered into the kitless catagory
DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

rp3.JPG

firewhatfire

I truly learned alot from this and now know how to make it better. Still got a long way to go to perfect it from that point.

thanks for looking and the comments

Phil

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I appreciate the support guys but it aint over yet. I havent heard any singing by a large female.:biggrin: There are a lot of talented members and its in the judges hands. GOod luck to all that entered.

Buzzzz4

Two fantastic pens Mike! And that's why I stick to my casting for now. I don't envy those judges as I know the pool of talented artists here.

workinforwood

I can't find a pic of my pen. I know I took a pic, but it might have been with my cell phone. I think when I made my pen was the same time my computer crashed out for good and so I was not able to photograph it properly. Sorry guys. All I can say is I entered one pen, and it was for casting. It's a very nice pen, but not unbeatable. It's all I could find time to do right now, but it might squeak into the finals you never know.

Scott

I sent the pens to the judges yesterday!

Seventeen people entered a total of 31 pens (or pencils).

Fourteen in the Casting Category

Four in the segmented Category

Five in the Kitless Category

Eight in the Open Class

I have seen all of these pens in person. They are all better than the pictures show! And there are some amazing pens that were entered that aren't shown here yet. This will be a stiff competition all the way around. And in case some of you are doing the "Happy Dance" because there were only a few entries in your category, please know that the judges were told they didn't have to award all three places in any category if they didn't feel there were three pens that they felt met the standard. Just to keep you guessing! ;-)

Scott.

Timebandit

Wow!! Thats a lot less than i expected overall:eek: I was thinking more in the 100 pens range. I hope that the pens that were entered make enough of an impression on the judges that this will be around next year:confused: I really hope so, as i dont expect to win this one:cool: Im really glad i entered 3:biggrin:

Thanks for the update Scott

This also means that since there are only 31 pens to look at, this might be over quicker than we thought:biggrin:

I sent the pens to the judges yesterday!

Seventeen people entered a total of 31 pens (or pencils).

Fourteen in the Casting Category

Four in the segmented Category

Five in the Kitless Category

Eight in the Open Class

I have seen all of these pens in person. They are all better than the pictures show! And there are some amazing pens that were entered that aren't shown here yet. This will be a stiff competition all the way around. And in case some of you are doing the "Happy Dance" because there were only a few entries in your category, please know that the judges were told they didn't have to award all three places in any category if they didn't feel there were three pens that they felt met the standard. Just to keep you guessing! ;-)

Scott.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I had hoped for 30 people entering. Next year there may be more entries and less chance of winning.:eek: This may be the easy year compared to the next ones. We will just have to keep it positive and plan for next year. Maybe a 2 month lead time to get your pen ready. I know the time frame effected a lot of our overseas members.
Although there is something to be said for having to fire up a design and make a pen under the gun. Kinda like the tv shows.

Maybe they can add a catagory where they give you certain criteria like The "DREADED PINE PITH" to make a pen.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You know? We actually DO have 12 months to make a pen. I didn't get my design together for this one. But, you'll see it next year for sure.

firewhatfire

I hope to step it up for next years also. At least by next year I will have had a full years experience with pen turning. With all I learned this time as has been said confidence levels have improved.

Now I just have to keep from showing pictures of them.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Phil You took one big step just by entering a pen this year and I for one salute you. You did it knowing it was a long shot and without worrying about what other people thought. There are a lot of members on here with more experience that didn't even bother to enter a pen. Why because they did not feel they could compete. Its never going to be easy to enter a contest of this level of competition but you have to start somewhere. And its easier to start at the beginning. How much harder did you try on the pen you entered. How much better will it make your next pen? Congratulations on taking this step.

Last edited:

Crickett

Well, for what it's worth I entered my two pens in casting. The first one is feathers and the second one is Italian paper cast in clear resin.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 554

hebertjo

I really hope there is another contest next year! I ran out of time this year. I had 2 designs worked up but could only finish the cap on one of them. It was going to be entered into the segmented category and seeing how only 5 entered my odds would have been good. Dang job got in the way of my fun! I will be prepared for next year's competition!

hewunch

I am with many others in that I couldn't get something together that quickly. I do hope they will do it again next year. I had a humdinger planned in my head.

Timebandit

Ok so who is the other person that entered the kitless category? We've accounted for 3 people and 4 of the 5 pens so we have a lurker out there. Here Ye, Show Yourself:biggrin: JK

Also believe we've only heard from 2 people in the Open Category. Even if you dont have a pic to show at least let us know who you are so we can cheer for you:biggrin:

Buzzzz4

Nice Job Marla! those are both beautiful entries, I think they need to returns my entry so i can save face:frown:

Whatever, Seamus. Yours is one that stands out as yours always do. Each entry is very different. Judges will have a very difficult time.

Marla, they are gorgeous. Way to go!

seamus7227

Whatever, Seamus. Yours is one that stands out as yours always do. Each entry is very different. Judges will have a very difficult time.

thanks Eric:rolleyes:. this is probably one of the most exciting events i have ever been in. To be able to compete with a variety of artists that are so talented in different areas of pen design. It truly is an honor to know all of you!~

I think the judges should put all of our entries in the magazines:rolleyes::biggrin: Its just gonna be that difficult to find the best one, cuz they all look superb~!

Crickett

Thanks Eric and Seamus. Your pens, as well as the others, look pretty incredible!! I knew this would be a tough category.

Sent from my iPhone because it's smarter than Ron's

MarkD

Lots of great pens shown so far!
I'm sure there are a few more great pens lurking in the shadows!

G1Pens

Casting Entry #1

Been out of town for a while and haven't had access to my pictures. Here is one of two pens I entered in the casting category. I thought it was something a little different. It is polymer clay cast in PR. This method allows me to control the design of one or more of the colors in the cast. Figured it was worth a shot.

In this one, the PC is the silver. You can follow the path it takes from the point to the top as it winds around the body. The PR is black with a touch of silver in it. I should have left the silver out as a little gathered on the front distracting from the silver PC, but the pattern is very clear on the back and sides

Attachments

• IMG_8203a-web.jpg
    IMG_8203a-web.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_8201a-web.jpg
    IMG_8201a-web.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 134

G1Pens

Casting Entry #2

This is my second casting entry. It is very similar to the first and was intended to be my only entry. #1 was entered because my wife kept harping at me to enter it. So I figured I could double my chances.

Anyway. This is on a long click. I selected this pen to give me more canvas area. The PC in this one is a white and gold mixture. It was cut out and baked on the tube. The tube/PC was then cast in a brown pearl acrylic. I had to make up a jig to hold the tube/PC in a vertical mold for the PR. Once set it was turned and then finished with CA to give it all an even shine.

Attachments

• IMG_8210a-web.jpg
    IMG_8210a-web.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_8205a-web.jpg
    IMG_8205a-web.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_8206a-web.jpg
    IMG_8206a-web.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 106
Top Bottom