Bell's Gorge Driftwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from boof910

boof910

In July my family and I was lucky enough to complete a famous outback Australian adventure - the Gibb River Road in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. We took 2 weeks to finsh the 690 kilometre drive along rough unpaved roads with 2 night stops at all of the beautiful camping spots.
Being a pen turning addict I collected a piece of interesting timber at each stop to be later turned into a memento of our amazing trip.
The first Sedona pen is from driftwood that was wedged into a crack at the base of a beautiful spot called Bell's Gorge. I am unsure of what type of timber it is but it has a rather nice spalted finish to it.
The second Sedona pen is made from the outer shell of a Boab nut. The Boab tree grows abundently in the Kimberley region of Australia.
The final Sedona is made from the nuts off a Quinine tree that we camped under at Manning Gorge. The nut has a soft outer coating that easily peels off to reveal a nut about the size of an almond.
If you get the chance do an internet search on the Gibb River Road. It is a beautiful, untamed part of Australia.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 264
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BJohn

Great Job! I really enjoy making pens from wood that has a story behind it. I to have gathered some wood from some trips that I have made, my favorit is a piece of an unknown wood from a hike we took on the Kīlauea Volcano during a trip to the Big Island. Now just have to find the time to turn a couple pens from it..

BSea

I too like #1 the best. But I like them all. And I'm with john. Wood with a story makes the end product so much more meaningful.

Top Bottom