Beginning Try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dfurlano

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfurlano

New to woodturning, first acrylic pen was marginal at best. You can see two rings I turned into the pen as seen below:

start.jpg

So I decided to fill the rings with epoxy colored with a black pigment. I liked this better but felt it needed something else (see below to view the rings filled). So next I printed a musical note on an label printer and stuck it to the pen and carved it out using a Dremel tool with a carbide tip as you can see in the photo:

Second.jpg

I disassembled the pen put it back on the lathe filled the note with epoxy and turned it down. Although I like it more now I would have done the design differently. Also I need to figure out how to get a glossy shine on the epoxy. The longer it cures the more shine I can get so it may just take waiting a few days. Final pen picture:

Final1.jpg

Comments very welcome...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan

And that's your first attempt? Geez... I think I'd better find another hobby...

That looks like a PSI Comfort Pen kit. Nice work guy, what did you use for the black filler? I made a Canarywood pen recently that I thought could've used an accent, but was afraid of screwing it up. How do you do these carvings/inlays? Will you post a lesson for us lesser turners?

What did you use for the final finish? I use Hut's Ultra Gloss polish for my acrylics and they shine like mirrors.

Thumbs

With a few more lines, it could look like sheet music! Or you could just use a piece of sheet music for your next one, eh?[}:)]

<b>Edit:</b>
Nice Final Picture composition...... Interesting......

Also forgot to say what a great pen that is!

M

Mudder

Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />.....first acrylic pen was marginal at best........

I think you're being much too hard on your work. If this is your first acrylic, then I say Bravo!

My first acrylic blew up while drilling.... My second blew up on the lathe..... My third attempt did not look nearly that good.

What I see is a progression of improvements.

I would have said the top picture was a good pen. Adding the epoxy improved the appearance but adding contrast in the top section. Finally the musical note is something that few (well at least I) probably have not attempted because of the fear of "screwing it up".

I tip my hat to you, this is a fine job.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Dan, I really like the idea and may steal it, hopefully with your permission. A small point, but in case someone else has the same larcenous ideas, please read Dan's post carefully. AT NO POINT DID HE MENTION BURNING ANYTHING IN. This is along the same line as when someone shows three views of the same pen and gets replies along the lines of "Nice set, I like the second pen best"

OK, rant over, I feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom