Beginner's Luck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plano_harry

plano_harry

Well I finally bit the bait that you guys have been throwing out there, and bought the appropriate taps and dies to go kitless! I am very pleased with the results (maybe relieved is the feeling) of making my first kitless pen. I really like the style, size and lite weight of the pen. I was going to honor my new pen with a Bock nib, but after a little tuning on the factory nib, the writing is very smooth and it will probably become my favorite carry. Appropriately filled with Private Reserve "Midnight Blues".

Strangely, the feeling I got on viewing the finished result was sort of a father/mother thing as to kit vs kitless: yep I made that vs I birthed that baby! :biggrin: Thanks to Fred Brunings and Mike Redburn for their great tutorials that convinced me I could do it.

It is 0.58" dia. in the center, and 5.4" in length. Since I didn't have the tap/die set for a section yet, I went with the Harvest section from Timberbits. M10x1.0 thread section and M12x.75 single start for the cap/body, with M9x.75 for the finial. The smaller diameter caused me to choose the Jr Gent 1 clip. The blank is Twilight Pearl Mosaic from Exotic. Guess it never occurred to me that the blank was built up in layers! Duh, maybe I should have noted the "reinforce with CA" on the website. Anyway, no problems since it didn't come apart in all the drilling and threading. I love the color but it was a bear to photograph! Comments and suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• white open m.jpg
    white open m.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 320
  • white closed m.jpg
    white closed m.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

I had that same feeling with my first born (pen that is). When can we expect the cigars?? Looks like a pro made it. Hay Harry, that's you !!!! Jim S

MikeL

Very nice. Kitless is a fun and rewarding challenge when it works out. It is also frustrating to spend endless hours and not work out. Yours looks great!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Congrats Harry! That's a nice Baby :bananen_smilies051:. You done well going over to the dark side!

Yes, the pictures are a bit blurry, but it is clear that you did a great job for the first time.

Nice to see!

OZturner

What an Outstanding Pen, Harry.
Your Delight and Joy, is felt through your emotional posting, Beautiful.
Love your chosen Blank, it is Fantastic.
Your Lines and Proportions have created a Superb Profile for your First Kitless Pen.
Your Expert Fit and Finish, is Indicative of your obvious Craftsmanship.
And an inspiration to many.
Congratulations,
Brian.

solobiker

That looks awesome! I am far away from being able to do that. Dare to dream right? :) Keep posting your pens. I love to see the beautiful work.

plano_harry

Ok, Mark prompted me to take another shot at the pictures. I don't think I improved, but at least I'm consistent! :wink: I am convinced the pen is blurry!

Attachments

• new open.jpg
    new open.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 105
  • new closed.jpg
    new closed.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 100

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Ok, Mark prompted me to take another shot at the pictures. I don't think I improved, but at least I'm consistent! :wink: I am convinced the pen is blurry!

Yup, Blame the Pen!

One problem, that's still a mighty nice pen! :)

I've been reading a ton of the library tutorials (hear that Jim!!!) on pen photography/photography in general. Not getting much better though. I may contact a friend who is a professional photographer for a "lesson for a pen!"

Still like the pen Harry!

plano_harry

Thanks Mark! Normally I can nail my pen photos first shot. I have taken probably 20 of this pen and can't get what I want! Maybe my wife messed up my camera with ebay photos!

stonepecker

Great looking pen Harry and CONGRATS on the kitless work.

Personally, I am a very long way from even attempting such a pen. For you to nail it on the first try said lots for your skills. I am jealous but you are an inspriation to me.

Keep going forward and pat yourself on the back. You deserve it.

Brooks803

Great job Harry! Love the shape and proportions. I really like how it looks when capped. How the cap dia is just a hair larger than the body. Everything looks clean and tight. Congrats!

plano_harry

Thanks for all the comments and to those who "plan to do it when I get good" I would say -- don't wait, you are probably good enough if you can turn a pen to match the hardware.

Besides the taps/dies/drill bits, the key pieces of special hardware are:

• the tail stock die holder (Little Machine Shop, or make one)
  • you probably already have a thin parting tool and calipers
  • lastly, a closed end mandrel that fits your chosen pen size is very helpful.
If you have these and follow the tutorials I mentioned, you shouldn't have any problem cutting threads that will work fine and making a pen that you will feel a special attachment to. Steve4948 has some helpful videos on youtube about kitless pens as well. A little planning and you are ready to start cutting.

jyreene

Great pen Harry. Nice lines and amazing first kitless.

On to front sections!!!

Which I don't think I've successfully done without a ton of guidance from Jonathon Brooks and someone who no longer makes pens.

Top Bottom