Beginner trying something different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rcstevie

rcstevie

Still new at making pens but I tried something a little different this weekend. I had 4 acrylic blanks sitting around and I decided that I would glue them together to make one blank and then turn a pen. Here are the results.

quadblank.jpg

quad2.jpg

quad3.jpg

quad4.jpg

quad5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

Hey, I like it! I have a box of 1/2" corian banks that I got from Ebay, thinking I could get a slimline from them. I was wrong by about 1/16 of an inch! They're all mismatched, so I didn't think to glue them up... But I've gotta say, this has convinced me otherwise!

You should consider cutting one of your glued up blanks into slices, and then slightly rotating each slice to get a stair step pattern. I first read about that trick in Barry Gross' Pen Turner's Workbook, which is well worth a look. There's an example of the kind of pen I'm talking about on the cover.

OZturner

Nice Pen, Rick.
Novel Idea with gluing the 4 blanks.
I would have had concerns drilling on the quad joint, but obviously you had no problem,
What adhesive did you use?
Your Pen has nice lines, Good Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

rcstevie

interesting

Good idea to have something in between. I will try that next time. I too was concerned about drilling, but had no problem. I used super glue to glue them together...two at a time and then all four. No issues turning either as it seems to be very solid. I will try other segments as I use up some of my scraps.

Top Bottom