beginers pen contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Scott.tudhope

Scott.tudhope

Since the big boys are showing theirs off I figured I would show off my loser.

Here it is, a chrome Phoenix with inlace blank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

benson09876

This is my non-finalist

This is my VERY FIRST pen and the second and third pieces that I have turned. I made it with all borrowed equipment while I was waiting for mine to arrive. The pen is a PSI Slimline kit and Cocobolo blank. The inlays are old credit card with Coke Zero can for a border. I applied 7 coats of CA, wet sanded with 2000 grit and polished with Plastix to come up with a semi-gloss finish that gives a warmth to the figure in the wood.

Attachments

• DSC00263.JPG
    DSC00263.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC00269.JPG
    DSC00269.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 123

Charlie_W

This is my VERY FIRST pen and the second and third pieces that I have turned. I made it with all borrowed equipment while I was waiting for mine to arrive. The pen is a PSI Slimline kit and Cocobolo blank. The inlays are old credit card with Coke Zero can for a border. I applied 7 coats of CA, wet sanded with 2000 grit and polished with Plastix to come up with a semi-gloss finish that gives a warmth to the figure in the wood.

"OVER-ACHIEVER"!:wink:...........No use starting out with a plain jane pen!!!!!!!

Very nice work! you should be proud. You obviously read up before jumping in.

"OVER-ACHIEVER"!:wink:...........No use starting out with a plain jane pen!!!!!!!

Very nice work! you should be proud. You obviously read up before jumping in.

Yeah ask me how many pens I've made like this in the 5 years I've been turning. I was amazed by the skill in the beginner class.

benson09876

Thanks

THank you for the comments. Luckily I had maxman400 to lean on for advice and the loan of the lathe and tools. And now the obsession begins.:biggrin:

Scott.tudhope

That's a good looking pen. I would've made you sign up for the intermediate contest.

maxman400

THank you for the comments. Luckily I had maxman400 to lean on for advice and the loan of the lathe and tools. And now the obsession begins.:biggrin:
This all started when he asked me to build him a pen and it went to him building his own and so on, and so on. At least the wife has not come looking for me yet. :wink:. Keep up the good work, and let me know when you want to try casting. :biggrin:

cbehnke

My first two

I made two pens as gifts and also made combination pen holder/business card holders for each.

First one is Brazillian Ipe pen, Ipe holder with tiger maple accent stripe. Made for a friend.

Second one is Purpleheart pen with Birdseye Maple holder with Purpleheart accent stripe. Made for my daughter.

Both finished with satin poly. I've since made three more pens and finished those with CA,...WOW what a difference the CA makes. Looking forward to making more soon.

Attachments

• 105_3967.jpg
    105_3967.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 2011.12.15   Jordie Desk Pen.jpg
    2011.12.15 Jordie Desk Pen.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 105
Top Bottom