Beer can Rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fisher

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fisher

My next one will be a lot better .The pen as a whole is a little tweaked to much for my liking .Ill do another ring pen ,will be close to perfect ,i hope .

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Very nice pen, I like the look you have, the blank you made work really well with the kit. Looking forward to the next one. I'm will to have a few cool one if you need any material to work with.

Jim Burr

Banned
Cool look!! The only suggestion I would offer is going to a thicker piece of Aluminum...flashing from a BORG...something like that. Watch your fit at the nib end too. You are well on your way!!

fisher

Very nice pen, I like the look you have, the blank you made work really well with the kit. Looking forward to the next one. I'm will to have a few cool one if you need any material to work with.

I'm alway's looking for something different.I'll end up buying some exotic's here soon .Also a Vaccum system & Cactus Juice soon.

pen looks great, not being rude but try cutting your segment square, then glue it. I never tried but I wonder if you could double the aluminum. I tried something thicker myself but ended up blowing out the blank, guess it was too thick. Keep on experimenting, looks great !!!

OZturner

Nice try Paleo,
The comments of William about ensuring your blanks are cut and trimmed square is very appropriate.
Also what type of cutter did you turn it with?
It looks like you may have rolled the edge of the Aluminium Can over slightly, on a small section, instead of cutting it,
That is to say that your bevel may have presented itself to the edge of the can before the cutting edge.
You might well find it easier using a thicker piece of Aluminium.
Congratulations,
Brian.

BSea

pen looks great, not being rude but try cutting your segment square, then glue it. I never tried but I wonder if you could double the aluminum. I tried something thicker myself but ended up blowing out the blank, guess it was too thick. Keep on experimenting, looks great !!!
Thicker isn't impossible. I use several thicknesses with aluminum & brass. but metal will catch & blowout just like wood. Light cuts are required. And you are exactly right about squaring the blanks where they meet. anything out of square will be magnified by the aluminum.

fisher

I did switch my Mandrel to the new Saver model.It's a total difference in the world .Im working on TBC the barrel's.I need 1 more thing the straight piece for the live end .I have all my other stuff i need.All 60 degree .
Thank's folk's for al your input .
Shalom !!

mrrichieboy

In answer to another question...I have doubled the aluminum without problem...but you need to glue (epoxy) between the aluminum layers just as you do to the wood. You should sand it with a coarse grit, like 150 before gluing...but beware, sand one direction only, otherwise it will bend and wrinkle like crazy. I have also had the 2 layers of Aluminum with a layer of copper between them. Again coarse sanding and epoxy, also need to clamp the pieces while the epoxy is setting up.---Rich

Top Bottom