Been meaning to get this one done....ERC xcut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Todays offering was something I've been meaning to do for a while now. Eastern Red Cedar crosscut of course, with a knot(something about them, either love 'em or hate 'em...I love 'em).

Finished with 3 coats thinCA and then 8 coats mediumCA, sanded with the pretty colored pads to 12K, PlastixPolish'd and then one coats of wax....

ERCxcut004.jpg

ERCxcut005.jpg

ERCxcut001.jpg

ERCxcut003.jpg

ERCxcut002.jpg

Of course, I'd like to hear thoughts, good or bad....I can only improve with critiques....and I put my special big-boy pants on, so let me have it!

Scott (got wood?) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

I love red cedar with knots. Until part of the knot leaves, the I hate knots. Other than quick hands and a slow lathe, do you have any secrets for using MM with cedar? I seem to rip the hide off my MM once in a while or scorch the wood a little.

SDB777

I love red cedar with knots. Until part of the knot leaves, the I hate knots. Other than quick hands and a slow lathe, do you have any secrets for using MM with cedar? I seem to rip the hide off my MM once in a while or scorch the wood a little.

A light touch on ERC xcut is just about a 'necessary' thing. I don't use the MM pads of the wood itself, just to finish it after applying CA.

Scott (fast hands on the wood) B

Jim Burr

Banned
Pretty smelly work Scott! Great shape and the knot is a great thing to include. I thought the cap was a little fat, but in the last pic, it looks better.

ossaguy

That's a really nice looking pen! How difficult is it to turn a closed-end pen? I hope to learn how to do that someday.

Steve

Charlie_W

Very nice pen there! Well Done......
I bought some of those from you in the fall. My daughter turned one of them already and it turned out great as well. I am anxious to get to one of them too. The knots really give it a lot of one of a kind character.

76winger

Very nice looking pen with a deep rich color. And, I too like the knots, they add the extra flair from the swirling grain around them.

SDB777

Scott that is very clean looking pen. ERC X-cut is wood turns out beautiful. What plating is the hardware.

Ray

Sorry, should have mentioned it was the Upgraded kit Gold.

That's a really nice looking pen! How difficult is it to turn a closed-end pen? I hope to learn how to do that someday.

Steve

Only as hard as you make it. I use Rick Herrell's pin chuck, and I think that takes the 'hard' out of the equation.

Very nice pen there! Well Done......
I bought some of those from you in the fall. My daughter turned one of them already and it turned out great as well. I am anxious to get to one of them too. The knots really give it a lot of one of a kind character.

Glad you like the timbers, and would love to see the one that your daughter turned!

Scott

Top Bottom