Been Busy-46 Polaris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Someone ordered 46 Polaris in black titanium and in various acrylics-he picked the acrylics. He wanted them 'fattys', so I made them in a variety of fatness to give some variety. Thoughts?

Lastly, is anyone else having problem with Polaris pens from PSI? All these came with worthless flimsy springs that allow the refill to rattle around and fall out of the nib slightly. I've had to order bigger springs to complete.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

here's a picture

all 46

Attachments

• IMG_6032.jpg
    IMG_6032.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 352

hewunch

Those look great. I don't think I have ever seen an order of that magnitude in a polaris before. Great job!

ctubbs

Great job and congratulations on the sale. they sure look good laying there together, finished and ready to ship.
Charles

I occasionally have the rattle problem and the black TN can be a little hit and miss- the carbara from berea seems to be more consistent but there can still be very odd issue with the shadeing of the plating in black TN

yorkie

Profit

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys.

I made them all assembly fashion.

I cut them all and drilled them all at once and burned out three bits, including one spiral fluted. all, using a small chop saw with a stop-that took one evening.

I tubed them all and trimmed them with another stop on my chop saw by ensuring I put in the brass tubes right at the top of one end of the barrels and then I could use a stop to trim them all to the right length; did that make sense? this all took an evening. I also trimmed the barrels that evening.

When it came to turning I was averaging 5-7 minutes per barrel to turn and sand ready for polishing, it took me an average 3-4 minutes per barrel to polish, 30 minutes to empty all the pen bags and organize them and another 45 minutes to complete the build on all the pens-total 1 day for all of this.

Profit? I charged $40 per pen and figured each pen was costing me about $10 in materials to make. Not including time, drill bits, replacement springs, sanding paper, polishing compounds and exploding blanks or.

Hope this all helps. By the way, tip: I always finish my acrylics by holding a cotton cloth against the barrel after I've finished polishing, I hold it on until it gets hot and I find this takes the shine one more level.

See photo for the difference.

Attachments

• 72081_1762541785722_1304423169_31901948_679309_n.jpg
    72081_1762541785722_1304423169_31901948_679309_n.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 125
Top Bottom