BEB Pretty Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from philb

philb

Hi,
My Pretty Wood entry that unforturnately didn't make the final cut, up against some great pens and woods though so well done to all who entered.
In my opionion one of the best contest of this years Bash, so congrats to all!

This one is a very light piece of Buckeye, picked as it showed some great swirls where the grey and cream areas mix. Included a bit of a close up to show the patterns.

Also testing having the clear acrylic stand to add a shadow to the photos! Think I'm sold on it!
1_BEB_-_2.jpg

1_BEB_-_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Great blank...and pen!
In the closeup, I can see a face looking back at me! It is on the barrel just right if the cap at about 11:00.

The swirl in the blank also reminds me of a satellite weather map showing the jet stream and storms! Maybe it is the face of Mother Nature!

Last edited:

mecompco

I love Buckeye Burl, and your pen looks great. I think I voted for it in the first round, at least.

There were some awesome looking pens. I do admit to taking "points off" on some of the pens for photos of lesser quality and/or careless construction (not lining up the grain between cap and body, for instance).

Regards,
Michael

franco32

Beautiful!! Now I'm still pretty new at this! Is that the natural color or has it been dyed? Thanks!

mecompco

Beautiful!! Now I'm still pretty new at this! Is that the natural color or has it been dyed? Thanks!

That's Buckeye Burl's natural coloring. Most needs to be stabilized as it is very brittle can can be full of holes. It does make a spectacular looking pen, though.

philb

I love Buckeye Burl, and your pen looks great. I think I voted for it in the first round, at least.

There were some awesome looking pens. I do admit to taking "points off" on some of the pens for photos of lesser quality and/or careless construction (not lining up the grain between cap and body, for instance).

Regards,
Michael

Thanks Michael,
I normally go for the same criteria too! The photo can make or break a pen!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom