BEB Perfect Fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bonefish

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonefish

I just wanted to show off my second Perfect Fit. The blank was gold dyed BEB from AS.

I know, I got carried away on the final end, and the wood is about .010 too small. When I was turning the top, one end splintered and I had to reverse ends to salvage the blank.

If I ever make a pen with 0 defects, I think I will donate it to a museam.

I like it because I can use the Parker Gel.

As an aside, I have thought about making some fittings the exact size of the supplied fittings, except the small end that is pushed into the tube will be slightly smaller so they would be easy to insert and remove than if they were pressed in.

Another idea, and this would be the easiest, taking some spare fittings and turning down the push in end for a snug, but not tight fit.

These modified fittings would be used to test the fit before final assembly.

I know, why not just use the proper bushings?

One reason, I have underestimated the amount of wood to leave for sanding. Other times, for whatever reason, the blank is slightly oval, possibly because I used too much pressure, or had the nut too tight.

Another reason is that the bushings are parallel with the mandrel, and most tips and finals are tapered. I find it difficult to blend a tapered pen body to a straight bushing. If the bushing were tapered at the same angle as the pen body, it would be simpler to get, if not a perfect fit, a closer fit.

Bonefish

2006729165737_Perfect%20Fit%207.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice - like your idea of the test fit. Wish I had this a number of times. How would you hold the fittings to turn them down?

thewishman

Originally posted by bonefish

One reason, I have underestimated the amount of wood to leave for sanding. Other times, for whatever reason, the blank is slightly oval, possibly because I used too much pressure, or had the nut too tight.

Bonefish

Based on some good advice here, I stop the lathe a couple of times (once when almost done turning and once just before sanding) and rotate the blank - just the blank and not the bushings - about 90 degrees each time. That way most of the potential reasons for out-of-round are nullified. My pens are much rounder now.

Chris

bonefish

Bruce, I also have a metal lathe, and I was thinking about it when I made the suggestion, but I can understand how this would be a problem with a wood lathe.

If I were doing it on a wood lathe, I would hold the tip between centers, and lightly file or sand the shank. It wouldn't take much.

The caps? I'll have to think about that for awhile.

I think it would be best to drill a correct sized hole in a blank bushing and place it on a mandrel, then turn the outside of the bushing to the desired shape. The only place that it needs to be precise is where it fits against the body, and enough length to establish the taper.

Chris, Good suggestion.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Bonefish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom