Beauty that's a beast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bpgoldo

bpgoldo

This is the last Cocobolo wood pen that I have....and ever will be able to turn. After a dozen or so beautiful pieces cut from a phenomenal block purchased from a terrific local tropical wood distributor, I became sensitized. I REALLY didn't want to believe it. Didn't want to accept it. Nothing is as detailed, nor figured, nor full of depth, detail and drama and color as a great piece of Cocobolo. I mean check out the photo attached. And.....I can't touch it anymore. Take care and turn well my brothers, but remember this. If you notice a rash....hives on your hands, arms or arm pits, or swelling around the eyes...or a cough that just won't go away...( sounds nasty eh? How about ALL of the above, all at once! ) be aware. The cause might be the very LAST thing you suspect. That beautiful tiny harmless piece of wood on your lathe. And once bitten by this beast, each time you expose yourself to the quinones released by the wood, your reaction will be more severe. Just lookin' out for my boys.

Attachments

• GRADUATE-ARROYO - 150 kb.JPG
    GRADUATE-ARROYO - 150 kb.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 351
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A beautiful way to exit from a class of timbers. Wonderful pen!

I cannot agree more with your recommendations.

KenV

As an old turner said

There are those who react to rosewoods (cocobolo) and those who will.

Glad you realized the trigger out before it became life threatening bu shutting down your breathing.

(zebra wood is my reaction wood)

mecompco

Beautiful pen! And yes, I also no longer touch Cocobolo--first few pens I did were fine, then the rash started. Next time it stayed for a week, and I learned my lesson.

Regards,
Michael

More4dan

Moradillo aka Bolivian Rosewood is my Kryptonite. Poison ivy like rash that took weeks and heavy meds to stop. Thuya Burl will cause a severe sinus headache and constant sneezing for 2 days with just one whiff. Two of my favorite woods. At least I still have Cocobolo and Desert Ironwood left. For now. Be safe folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

bpgoldo

Mark, Ken, Dave, Mike, Ted, Dan, thanks for caring enough to add your experience and credibility to this thread. Good work brothers, we spread the word and maybe no one gets hurt real bad. I almost danced "one time too many" with this stuff cuz I didn't know any better. It's a bit of a crusade for me now. By the end of just one day over 233 of our best buddies know a little bit more and have the chance to catch the snake before she bites. I owe y'all one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom