Beauty and the Beast Sweetheart Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ossaguy

ossaguy

My wife really likes the Beauty and the Beast.So last month I took her downtown to see the play when it was here.We had a great time,so I thought it would be neat to make a matching pair of "Sweetheart Pens."

One for each of our collections.Beauty for her,I'm the Beast!

She picked out these jumbo-sized St.Vincent stamps of the animated version.Just one almost covers the whole tube.I did them decoupage-style on wooden blanks & ca.

Chrome plating on these Zens.

Just in time for Valentine's day.

>>>>> Here's a question for you guys.....with all the different Disney stamps out there,would I get in trouble if I wanted to sell ones like this? They are mostly from the country of St.Vincent.

Thanks for lookin',and any thoughts on the question.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_7603.JPG
    IMG_7603.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_7581.JPG
    IMG_7581.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7598.JPG
    IMG_7598.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_7587.JPG
    IMG_7587.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_7599.JPG
    IMG_7599.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7590.JPG
    IMG_7590.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7596.JPG
    IMG_7596.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7594.JPG
    IMG_7594.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 116
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Great Pens Steve,
Love the Theme,
I wouldn't know the Copyright interpretations in the US, but I bet if you asked two Copyright Lawers, you would probably get 4 answers.
Great Fit and Finish, as I would expect, well suited for the great Zen Pen.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

TimS124

I'm not a lawyer and would never try to play one on the internet…but I would expect the answer to hinge considerably on whether or not the stamps themselves are properly licensed. If they are, I would expect the "First Sale" rules to cover re-using the stamps in the pens without risking problems that would stand up in court.

That last part is critical…do you have the funds or friends to butt heads with their legal team if they decide you probably don't know the First Sale rules or likely can't afford to debate it with them in court or they claim the stamps themselves are not licensed (and you're an easier target than St. Vincent…

There are some Disney stamps issued by the US Postal Service…I would expect those are properly licensed and much safer to use…but since I'm not a lawyer, you're on your own.

johncrane

Great job Steve! the decoupage with wood blank is the better way i think no bubbles to worry about, with copyright laws not sure, but being stamps you might be ok! anyone can buy/sell stamps,fingers crossed.

toddlajoie

These sorts of things would probably also fall under the Derivative Work exemption.

Fantastic looking pens by the way... One of my goals I never seem to get to far on is I REALLY want to get started on clear casting like this...

Last edited:

ossaguy

These sorts of things would probably also fall under the Derivative Work exemption.

Fantastic looking pens by the way... One of my goals I never seem to get to far on is I REALLY want to get started on clear casting like this...[/quotey
Thanks for the replies.I looked up the Derivitive Work Exemption

Wow,my head hurts just reading all the legal wording! It sounds like they would not be changed enough to be original,if I read it right.

I think I'll skip that whole idea then,to be safe.Sure wouldn't want to get in legal trouble.

Too bad,they have so many available.

Thanks,
Steve

Janster

..as always, nice work there Steve. I "think", if you were using cancelled stamps there not be a problem at all?

bjbear76

I love your work, Steve. Can I ask a couple questions on your technique? What do you do with the "extra" stamp edge when you wrap it around the blank? Do you just end up with a seam or cut you trim it so it meets up withe the leading edge? Do you use something like modge podge to glue the stamp to the blank? I assume many coats of CA are needed to adequately cover the stamps?

Thanks,
Bill

Marko50

I love your work, Steve. Can I ask a couple questions on your technique? What do you do with the "extra" stamp edge when you wrap it around the blank? Do you just end up with a seam or cut you trim it so it meets up withe the leading edge? Do you use something like modge podge to glue the stamp to the blank? I assume many coats of CA are needed to adequately cover the stamps?

Thanks,
Bill

I can only speak for myself Bill, but I've had great results using the "tube on" method and casting with Alumilite. As long as I use Mod-Podge to seal the stamp and give it time to off-gas, I've never had a problem with color fade or air bubbles creeping in. I use a pressure pot to ensure it.

Steve's method results in an awesome pen and his skill level speaks for itself. Very impressive indeed!

ossaguy

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,

For me,I like to try to get the borders tol all mach up,without having any of the tube show thru the little perforations.Sometimes they get lined up,but if you spray paint the tube satin white before,it's not too noticeable.I start out with a turned-down wooden tube.I go about .030'' or so smaller.Do a quick ca finish,then spray paint it white.

I brush Mod Podge on the back of the stamp to affix it,and try to get the middle stamp centered and lined up perfect.If I get that one just right,and the tubes totally straight,then the ends will line up easily.If I get the center one not right,none of them will line up right.So on that first center one,I go kinda heavy on the Mod Podge,so there is a little wiggle room in those first few seconds to slide it around so it fits just right.

I use a nice pair of German scissors to trim the ends flush.If I didn't have those,I'd like to try getting a pair of those modeling scissors from a hobby shop that are slightle curved,allowing a nice flush cut.

I brush 2 coats of Mod Podge over the stamps,then let it dry at least a day,then coat with ca.I have had great luck using the triangle cosmetic foams from Target,and med. ca. It builds up pretty fast.

You want to be sure you allow for the stamp seams,since they overlap 50 percent,thus doubling the thickness there.So you want to build it up enough that when you go to level it off,you don't scrape thru into a stamp.That's why I start at .030'' under,before putting on the stamps and sealing.

I got started watching the video that PSI has on YouTube.If you search,"' stamp pen" on YouTube,it will come up.I guess I've done it a little different,I think it's like doing a ca finish...everyone does it to what works best for them.

On the ones that are rounded a lot like a cigar,I send those those out to Don Vann for casting.I wish I could do it like Marko,but I don't have the skills and equip or space to cast.

I hope some of this helps.

Take care,
Steve

Top Bottom