Beauty and the Beast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert111

Robert111

Okay, so I ordered a couple of these weird root ball blanks from a fan palm or something from Joe (Shadetree1). He said pour some thin CA on them before you try to do anything. Which I did. So there they sat for a few weeks and I'd stop and look at the stupid things every so often.

Finally this morning I figured I'd have a laugh and see if you could really turn something with one. Immediately it started to look interesting, then kinda nice, then really nice, then WHOA!

So what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Really different...I love it! It has a grit to it that makes you take notice...really take notice. I can't stop looking at it

Justturnin

That looks amazing. Nice job holding it together. I have one and my wife claimed it for a stylus. I won't lie, I am a bit nervous since I have not been on a winning streak in the shop lately.

shadetree_1

It looks great. What is it made of??? I've been studying it over and over and I just cannot figure out what its made of.

For all of those wondering what it is: it is the root ball from a Mexican Fan Palm Tree, And I sure am glad to see one of them turned into a pen of pure Beauty!!!!!!!

I am having some stabilized now and I don't think they will take near as much CA, they should be ready somethime next week. PM me if your interested in one.

Thanks

Joe and Linda:)

Last edited:

doughogg

What a stunning pen and finish...

It never ceases to amaze me what is hidden inside to most horrible looking of pieces of wood!!!

Joe (Shadetree1) kindly sent me one of these blanks along with some other wood I bought from him. Mine wasnt so highly figured and I had all sorts of issues with tear out which Joe probably put down to me being a tight-assed Scotsman with the CA.
Personally, I put it down to him sending me a pre-production model :biggrin:

Seriously though, it is really beautiful wood and if you can get hold of some blanks they will make a truly different looking pen.
I know that Joe has said he is having the next batch stabilized so they should appeal to those of us who have been a bit mean with the CA in the past.

I attach a photo of the Roller I made for reference but as you can see, it doesnt have anything like the figure or looks of Roberts.

I have another batch on their way to me and the CA is ready and waiting this time!!!

Rialto rollerball in Mexican Fan Palm wood.jpg

Drstrangefart

What a stunning pen and finish...

It never ceases to amaze me what is hidden inside to most horrible looking of pieces of wood!!!

Joe (Shadetree1) kindly sent me one of these blanks along with some other wood I bought from him. Mine wasnt so highly figured and I had all sorts of issues with tear out which Joe probably put down to me being a tight-assed Scotsman with the CA.
Personally, I put it down to him sending me a pre-production model :biggrin:

Seriously though, it is really beautiful wood and if you can get hold of some blanks they will make a truly different looking pen.
I know that Joe has said he is having the next batch stabilized so they should appeal to those of us who have been a bit mean with the CA in the past.

I attach a photo of the Roller I made for reference but as you can see, it doesnt have anything like the figure or looks of Roberts.

I have another batch on their way to me and the CA is ready and waiting this time!!!

View attachment 65701

Don't beat yourself up on that one. That also looks killer. +1!

Top Bottom