Beautiful and Disasterous!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

I'm totally bummed out about this one. I had a request to do some dragonflies. No problem there. I made a beautiful 3 tone acrylic for the flies and cut 50 of them..that's like a couple days worth of work with these tiny buggers, and they looked great. Then I figured, well dragonflies love hanging out over water, so a nice watery backdrop would be great. Well..nope! The backdrop looks amazing..as good as any blank could ever be. The dragonflies, they look awesome...but put the two together and you can't hardly see the darn things. I was feeling shaky about it but real confident too, so I took a gamble and poured 25 of these blanks just like this one! I should have gone with white as the main base color and mixed in a touch of blues, but shoulda coulda woulda. I made this pen for my wife, her birthday is next week, she loves dragonflies, and she'll love the pen. You can see the dragonflies in it, especially in real life rather than my crumby photo's, it's just that they don't pop out at you...so if you didn't know they were there you'd likely totally miss it. Kinda depressing..I see a dragonfly penblank defect sale in my future. :mad:

dragonfly1.jpg

dragonfly2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

If you look at the dragonflies as a "hidden surprise," rather than the focus of the pen... that could be desirable. e.g., "hey look, there are dragonflies in there! cool!"

The resin is attractive enough to stand on its own.

thewishman

The stealth dragonfly pen. Maybe you should add one to each future blank - like a signature piece.:rolleyes:

Toni has the ghost butterfly, Jeff could have the...

Oh! How about this - make the bottom in tiger stripes with a stealth flower:

Crouching Tiger Lilly, Hidden Dragonfly

Top Bottom