Beautiful Cocobolo Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

Wish I could find more of this wood! I had a blow-out on the upper barrel so I segmented with ebony and aluminum. This is another great palace vine Jr. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• cocboloBurlIAP2.jpg
    cocboloBurlIAP2.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 757
  • cocboloBurlIAP1.jpg
    cocboloBurlIAP1.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 408
  • cocboloBurlIAP3.jpg
    cocboloBurlIAP3.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 412
  • cocboloBurlIAP4.jpg
    cocboloBurlIAP4.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 343
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Ooooh Soooo tooo bad!! on the blow out.

You did a good effort on the recovery, but the blank itself cries out for the parts gone. :frown:

We all want more of that wood. You were wise to couple it with a very top end kit. I really enjoyed seeing this pen...nice work and nice post.

MikeL

Ooooh Soooo tooo bad!! on the blow out.

You did a good effort on the recovery, but the blank itself cries out for the parts gone. :frown:

We all want more of that wood. You were wise to couple it with a very top end kit. I really enjoyed seeing this pen...nice work and nice post.

Yes, I think I came close to a curse word when the piece blew out but I stepped out of the shop and maintained control. I would have much rather had a solid piece on the upper barrel but that's the way it goes sometimes. Glad I was able to keep most of it!

Skie_M

So ... this cocobolo, is it the type that will darken up after exposure to UV/sunlight? I love the light orange play against the darker brown, but I've seen quite a bit of my cocobolo end up a stunning array of golden yellow to dark brown, with reds and oranges banded between.

Charlie69

That is a beautiful piece of Cocobola, shame the cap piece blew out but the segmented fix look great!

MikeL

So ... this cocobolo, is it the type that will darken up after exposure to UV/sunlight? I love the light orange play against the darker brown, but I've seen quite a bit of my cocobolo end up a stunning array of golden yellow to dark brown, with reds and oranges banded between.

I too love the mix of colors. I am not sure how long it will take but the wood will darken with age. Hopefully the contrasting colors will still contrast as it ages.

MikeL

Dalepenkala

Mike you did an outstanding job on saving that pen! If you wouldn't have said anything about the blow out I'd have figured it was all designed/segmented that way! Incredible pen Mike!

Skie_M

Mmmm ... nope, the stuff I have is certainly pretty, but it's not burl. Crosscut slabs that came with knots through them that were removed. I'll have to make something out of some of this, it's very nice looking stuff ... I just don't have any pen kits left! lol

jttheclockman

Mike congrats on the front page. It probably is one of the strongest photos we had there in a long time. Really jumps out at you. I like the metal added and the timber speaks for itself. nice combo. keep up the good work. Hope to see more.

MikeL

Thanks!

Looks great on the front page :biggrin:

It is indeed an honor! Thanks.
Again, finding a really nice piece of wood has a lot to do with this pens appeal.

Plus, learning some picture skills from guys on this site is helpful towards showing off the wood.

Last edited:

Gadget

I have quite a bit of cocobolo and I was told by a cue maker a trick. When your almost done turning just before sanding wrap the cocobolo in a paper towel then soak with denatured alcohol, allow to dry and repeat a few times. it takes some of the oils out and allows it to retain the natural color variations. it will darken with time but not as much as normal.

thepenfriend

Beautiful Pen! A well deserved front pager! I was curious on the finish you used? Mind sharing the specs? Is it CA? or some lacquer? Thanks for sharing your artwork!

Top Bottom