Beautiful burl pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DB in VT

DB in VT

Here is another of my recent pens. I am very embarrassed to admit that I don't know what kind of wood this is. Last week I visited with greenmtnguy and he sold me a whole bunch of cool stuff. This is one of the pieces from him.
Be sure to watch his offerings on the For Sale forum.
When I turned and finished it I knew that it required a different kit than any of the ones I had left in stock. So I waited for my most recent shipment from Exotic Blanks and used one of the Le Roi Elegant kits in 24k and gunmetal. I really like the look and feel of this pen.
If anyone can identify the species of wood, I would be most appreciative.

Attachments

• Le Roi.jpg
    Le Roi.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 420
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Beautiful !!

Was the wood really hard and a little bit oily ? . If so, could be Desert Iron Wood from Arizona or thereabouts ... often referred to as DIW. . I am not certain of course but there is a resemblance.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Dennis:

Beautiful pen, your finish is wonderful.

Not sure of the blank, it could many different varieties of timber. BUT, your pen is excellent!

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
It may be dark Cherry burl. You got a lot of it. If it smelled sweet, Cherry. May be Cocobolo crotch with sap wood by the clip. If it had a heavier oily smell,Coco. Looks too dark to be Walnut, but you got a lot of that also. If I had smelled it turning, I could pinpoint it. Nice job!

cmiller

Looks kind of like walnut to me. Really nice transition from one color to another, and I like what you did with the clip. Beautiful pen.

Top Bottom