Beautiful Black Ash Burl in NH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

Here is one from today. This burl came to me as a large chunk. This is one of the many nice pieces I got from it. This one was especially hard to hold together because of all of the knots that it also has. This also has some beautiful curl..

il_570xN.520485824_fyey.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Oh yes it is stabilized, then I used CA during the cap turning to keep all those knots in tact. I as hoping that the stabilization would be enough but the voids near and around some of the knots were too much for the stabilization. It took a lot longer to get it turned than I had expected but it came out really well. I had to take it off the lathe several times to let CA dry but I had others that I could put on and work while things setup. This is the part of pen turning that keeps it interesting and that people don't understand when they look at the price of a pen. It is all fine and dandy to set a price for turning something but then when reality sets in and it takes 2 or 3 times longer to do something than you expected it gets expensive.

Mike

Wow,that's a beauty!

Did you have to stabilize it to keep it together?

Steve

NittanyLion

That's a nice job Mike. Did you finish with CA then or is the finish just from the stabilization?

Hi Steve,

I don't use any CA for finishing I am alergic. I only use is sparingly when I have my dust collector to move the fumes. Otherwise I use the odorless stuff.

Mike

I was thinking maybe you used the odorless since you had to fill voids and hold it together with CA. I assume this is Doctors then. I was curious about how well a finish comes out when you need to use CA to hold the burl together and use a finish like Doctors, WTF, or another similar type. I've always stuck with a CA finish when needing to use CA to hold a loose blank together, afraid of the reaction between the CA and finish. It looks like there are other options.

Top Bottom