The BEAST!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rojo22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
We had a penswap not too long ago, and JeffinIndian was unlucky enough to get me as his pen partner...LOL....The story is long but funny...

Well the pen swap was a blast! My partner was JeffinIndiana, and I knew right away that my partner and I were on the same wavelength after just one short email. Jeff only had a few things he would like to have in a pen, but I immediately was able to read between the lines of his email, and come up with a special pen.

His desires were:

1. A rollerball- Not sure what it is, but I will ask someone at WalMart, they should know, but it sounds fancy.
2. A showy pen- Well I had to think on this one, but after a few more emails, had just the thing!
3. A large kit- Well I got to thinking on this one, and well, it eventually came to me.
4. Plating is up to you- Well that leaves some things wide open….
5. Finish- Again an open parameter…
6. Shape- WAO……so much creative possibilities.

I realized that reading between the lines, JeffinIndiana was a gentleman with discriminating and refined tastes. Being from Georgia, I immediately consulted with the crew down at the watering hole to seek out how to best make sure I didn’t embarrass myself by sending an inadequately noble pen. Near on about closing time, we immediately figured a couple of things based on my emails with Jeff.

1. He stated he wanted a BEAST of a pen. This immediately let us know that Jeff would be able to appreciate the finest of animal pelts.
2. He liked BIG pens, so no wimpy little kits would do.
3. Plating presented a problem, right up to execution time, but was solved by a voting quorum down at the watering hole. Jeff seemed like he valued quality, and durability, so the boys came up with a list of possibilities.

I want to start out by saying that the description below of Jeff’s pen is pending a trademark approval, and Maw is negotiating with HSN for exclusive distribution rights. I know there will be a fuss about a tutorial, and a bunch of technical questions from the pen making elite on this, but please understand that we went to the extra expense of a second freezer to store all the roadkill in, and we need to get all that money back. Also for all you animal lovers, no animals were injured in the making of the pen, technically at least after they met Mr. Goodyear. The consensus down at the watering hole is that there is a tremendous market for this type of thing, hence the need to keep this process tight lipped. I hope you understand.

Technical Data:

Pen Kit: Custom Made
Pen Material: Possum Pelvic Fur (Everyone knows this is the softest part of the pelt)
Pen Finish: V05 with Aquanet Hairspray (we consulted with the ladies down at the salon, and they said that this was by far the best combination for shiny coat and full bodied presentation)
Pen Hardware Plating- Alabama Chrome a.k.a. Ductape (there were a few dissenters in the voting quorum on this one, as they felt like trailer hitch chrome might be more durable, but Walmart don’t carry trailer hitch chrome in the spray can)
Pen Refill Type: We asked the lady in the office supply section about this one, and she pointed us in the direction of a fancy French company called BIC. Maw really like the way it wrote, because she didn’t even have to lick it first before it started writing.

Well with the pen designed and built, the boys down at the watering hole were again employed to come up with a way to package this magnificent creation, and allow JeffinIndiana to proudly display the pen, while making sure it was well protected. Any self respecting gentleman down south would only keep his valuables in a soft, inconspicuous place, and that was agreed upon by all to be a Crown Royal bag. This was met with much enthusiasm by the group, as it meant we had to purchase the whole bottle in order to get a new bag.

Well I sincerely hope that Jeff can fully appreciate that the finest materials and craftsmanship went in to this process, and can appreciate the added status that this item will bring him as he enters into a room full of important people.

I cannot wait until the next pen swap! I have been consulting with JeffinIndiana on continuing the series of custom pens, and it involves a two by four and a toilet paper roll!

2007425165644_TheBeast4small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by LEAP
<br />That is good, Just wondring why you went with possum instead of Nutria?[:D]

Leap

Great Question, and the answer is quite frankly we couldnt find any NAGA's to make hides out of....and we would have to drive down to South Georgia for Armadillos (possum on a half shell), so we use what is provided to us. Hope that helps.

Robert

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />that is freakin' hilarious!

NavyDiver

It was a close vote down at the watering hole, but the boys saw better value in draining a Crown Royal bottle between the gang, than say a single PBR. Plus, the prototype of the PBR hardcase pen holder tended to interfere with the AquaNet hairspray, and the thing kept getting the frizzies. After consulting with the salon experts, they said we needed something that would "breath". The boys are engineering something with breathing holes for the two by four and toilet paper roll prototype, but the majority of the group voted for a good ole BUD case....We are looking for volunteers to help us empty the prototypes.....

Robert

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by TAld
<br />Are those bare spots mange [:D][:D]

TAld

Good observation, but no, I turned my back while I was duct taping my disposable camera to the broom handle to use as a tripod, and before I knew it the dog had jumped up on the table and run off with it. By the time I pried it out of his jaws, well, it was a little matted. The good news is despite the special attention of the dog, the pen smelled better afterwards.....

Robert

jughead

Rojo22,

You should retire from pen making. The Beast is a fine example of pen making perfection........ I for one do not think you will ever be able to top the workmanship or quality of this pen. There is nowhere to go now but down.

[:D][:D][:D]

Thank you for letting us lesser humans look on in awe at what a master pen maker can accomplish.

gmcnut

The creativity here is amazing. How resourceful. We sometimes refer to that plating as Idaho Chrome.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by jughead
<br />Rojo22,

You should retire from pen making. The Beast is a fine example of pen making perfection........ I for one do not think you will ever be able to top the workmanship or quality of this pen. There is nowhere to go now but down.

[:D][:D][:D]

Thank you for letting us lesser humans look on in awe at what a master pen maker can accomplish.

jughead

Thank you for the wonderful compliments. On the contrary, last night was an epiphany down at the watering hole (it was cheap beer night), and the marketing consultants of mine have somehow come up with several suggestions on making this a designer line of pens. I will have to take a few weeks off from pen making to gather the materials to perform the next installment in the designer series, but I believe it will be worth it. Thanks for being a fan!

Robert

P.S.- Anyone got a line on bulk skunk pelts? Anyone interested in a group buy?

wudnhed

Thank you for the wonderful compliments. On the contrary, last night was an epiphany down at the watering hole (it was cheap beer night), and the marketing consultants of mine have somehow come up with several suggestions on making this a designer line of pens. I will have to take a few weeks off from pen making to gather the materials to perform the next installment in the designer series, but I believe it will be worth it. Thanks for being a fan!

Robert

UH........are you sure you can replicate such a magnificent piece of art?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom