Bear Claw Padauk Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

I found this cool kinda stripey Padauk board. To preserve the stripeyness, I cut a couple of blanks end grain style. Here are the two blanks.
scimg4404.jpg

I turned one of them to go with a Black Titanium Cigar kit. When I was finished I noticed that the pen had a lot of nice chatoyancy (which is hard to see in the PIX). I also noticed that it had some black lines that looked like a big ole bear had clawed the wood. So I thought I would post some PIX for your enjoyment. Sorry that the photos are not very good.

scimg4418.jpg

scimg4416.jpg

scimg4415.jpg

Flash shot shows the chatoyancy a little better than the top two PIX.

It was tough turning this pen. The end grain orientation forced me to go very slow and light with my Lacer skew and Spindlemaster to keep from chipping out and destroying the blank. Had to really strop down the chisels for this pen!

It's funny that the "bear's claw" was totally unpredictable to me when originally looking at the blanks. On hindsight, you can see the claw on the bottom of the blanks... faintly but it's there.

Not much else to report on the pen making front. I was wood shopping today and scored a lot of cool stuff but that is another story all together.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I love that piece of Padauk you've got!

And that was really nice of that bear to "sign it" for you. Cool!

mickr

the last pic shows the color variation better..pretty wood..and great patience to turn in that orientation

Bree

the last pic shows the color variation better..pretty wood..and great patience to turn in that orientation

The last PIC is what it really looks like. When you roll it you get a nice color shift. I can cut a lot more of them as I have a 5 foot long board. But they are brutal to turn. With all the other blanks I have, It may be awhile before I return to that board. I may just use it to make some boxes.
:wink::wink::wink:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Padauk and I don't get along. Sweet pen, I have some bloodwood that has a "funky" striped look to it kinda like that.

Top Bottom