Beall Pen Wiz - 1st real sucess

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

YoYoSpin

Beall Pen Wiz - 1st real success - kinda

This is a piece of stabilized boxelder burl on a Sierra kit. The burl wood is probably a little too busy for the Pen Wiz effect. But using a stabilized wood works well.
1_wiz_001a.jpg

Here's a close-up of the common diamond tipped burr I used:
1_wiz_001b.jpg

There is definitely a learning curve with this machine. This is what happens when the cut is too deep - chip out:
1_wiz_001c.jpg

This is what happens when something gets loose mid-cut - unintended wavy line:
1_wiz_001d.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grizz

Banned
After seeing the PW demo'd today, I would have to agree that blanks with a lot of 'movement' in them would not be the best to use. PW is definitely for plainer looking blanks so that you can then give them a 'wow' factor.

OldWrangler

This is the second set of pens I have seen done on the Wiz and I gotta say that I am not impressed so far. Maybe it just takes more experience to be able to take full advantage of what the machine can do. The Wiz that I saw up close and personal looked a little flimsy to me and I really wonder if it is gonna make a big change in pen turning. I'd like to see more work done by people more practiced.

low_48

Those lines are pretty jagged. Did you cut them in one pass? Can you index well enough to do a roughing cut, then a finishing cut? If you are going to cut fine lines, I wonder if some engraving bits might work better. Did a quick search and found some 1/8" shank bits. Don't know anything about this company, but prices look good.
http://www.bitsbits.net/

Top Bottom