BeadieBabies: Unstrung Heroes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

I was chatting with some friends who are members of Northern California's esteemed and creative Pomo Indian Tribe. They carry on the beautiful tribal tradition of beaded basketry, had heard about my pens, and asked if I'd incorporated beads: no, not yet...(minor light bulb moment). They kindly gave me some tiny 15/0 seed beads. I didn't string the little guys, hence the moniker "Unstrung Heroes", but stay tuned for version 2.0.

Steps:
Sculpey Premo polymer clay colors mixed, then rolled out to 3/64" thickness.
Clay then textured with various found and created surfaces (bark, kitchen strainer, cheese cloth, etc.).
Clay rubbed with metal flakes, mica powders, re-textured
Beads inlaid.
Beaded clay surface re-textured.
Clay wrapped around acetone-washed/150 grit sanded tubes and adhered with Sculpey liquid clay.
Clay-wrapped tubes re-textured, trimmed.
Clad tubes baked in a toaster oven at 275 degrees x 25 min., heat diffused by an aluminum foil dome over the rack.
Tubes then glazed with Judikins Diamond Glaze, dried x 48 hours.
Pressure cast tube-in at 50psi using Douglass and Sturges PR mixed with more metal flakes.
Turned as usual.
Barrel ends reinforced with CA glue because there was a very thin PR coating over the far-edges of the clay.
Finished as usual.

The apology: keen eyed forumites will surely note that the children are chunky and wasp wasted. I am loathe to fat-shame them at this delicate phase of their identity development, but I do apologize. They promise to go on low-carb diets after the Holidays.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Happy Saturday to all - Bob

Attachments

• BeadieBabies,Unstrung1,markison,2017,1000px.jpg
    BeadieBabies,Unstrung1,markison,2017,1000px.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 640
  • BeadieBabies,UnstrungFamily1,markison,2017,1000px.jpg
    BeadieBabies,UnstrungFamily1,markison,2017,1000px.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 631
  • BeadieBabies,UnstrungFamilyDetails1,markison,2017,1000px.jpg
    BeadieBabies,UnstrungFamilyDetails1,markison,2017,1000px.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

The pens are beautiful as usual and would do well along any tribal work or as gifts.

I am wondering if a more dominant role for the beads somehow would be more reflective of the beadwork we see from the tribes? As I look closely, I don't believe it is a bead quantity issue, but from the photos they seem to get a little lost among similar/competing colors. Could well be the overall effect you were shooting for, I was expecting more presence from the beads. Just my thoughts. Always blown away by your creativity.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Bob in SF

Thanks Mike and Mal!

Mike - Your points are well taken - just getting started with this little set of experiments - lots of possibilities.

My next brood has simpler backgrounds:

attachment.php

Best regards, Bob

Attachments

• BeadieBabies,Brood2,markison,2017,1000px.jpg
    BeadieBabies,Brood2,markison,2017,1000px.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 522

Curly

Very nice. Keep in mind that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Others will be trying it, too.

Bob is unique in that he has been applying a lifetime of artistic background into making beautiful pen blanks and there hasn't been a single person copy and post one yet. Even though Bob has been exceedingly generous telling us how he does it. I don't think that will change anytime soon.

Bob once again you floor us.

Bob in SF

Many thanks John, Pete, Mike, Rick and Reverend Thom!!

Pete - heartfelt thanks for your very kind words - always glad to share my tiny "discoveries" and techniques.

I'm sharpening up my micro-seed-bead-stitching techniques for next-level BeadieBabies - these are some of today's peyote stitched (tiny) 15/0 micro seed beads, stitched with FireLine Crystal .005" bead thread, using a #12 John James brand beading needle (stay tuned):

attachment.php

Happy Sunday to all - Bob

Attachments

• MicroseedbeadPeyoteStitch,Penny2,markison,2017,1000px.jpg
    MicroseedbeadPeyoteStitch,Penny2,markison,2017,1000px.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 401

MRDucks2

You are quite welcome, Bob. As I have said before, you are an inspiration for all of us. I realized I may be taking a risk with my feedback, but felt you were likely the type of artisan who would appreciate the honest perspective in addition to my compliments. You continue to amaze as well as educate us and we appreciate you.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Bob in SF

Thanks, Jim, Pete and Mike!

Pete: "Do you see any issues with bubbles coming out of those little beads when the resin is poured over them?"

No bubble trouble so far - BUT I slowly brush Judikins Diamond Glaze over the beads as an intermediate layer, and let it dry x 2-3 days before tube-in casting in PR at 50psi. I may get bubbles as I venture into more complex surfaces with stitched/woven beads - hoping to get a little more shop time within the busy Holiday Season - stay tuned.

It's fun to learn more about the vibrant, time-honored, and expanding universe of beads, beading, and beaders.

Warm regards - humbly and gratefully - Bob

randyrls

I was chatting with some friends who are members of Northern California's esteemed and creative Pomo Indian Tribe. They carry on the beautiful tribal tradition of beaded basketry, had heard about my pens, and asked if I'd incorporated beads: no, not yet...(minor light bulb moment).

Bob; I'd wonder if there are traditional patterns that the Pomo tribe uses. Perhaps a visit to a local museum to photo the patterns from baskets or other older artwork might inspire a new look. I think using the patterns by stringing the beads might be an interesting treatment. I may try the Judikins Diamond Glaze you mentioned as I often get bubbles in my embedded castings just above the embedded paper.

Bob in SF

Thanks, Randy! - the tribal patterns are beautiful indeed - great sources of inspiration.

I'm also interested in granulation techniques with even tinier drilled and undrilled beads on metals and handmade papers. The metal jewelry granulation techniques reportedly date back 5,000 years to Sumer - and can probably be updated into the shallows of pens. I got a copy of Oppi Untracht's wonderful 1993 book when "the ink was still wet": Metal Techniques for Craftsmen: A Basic Manual for Craftsmen on the Methods of Forming and Decorating Metals, wherein he details beautiful ancient surface decorative techniques. I won't be copying any patterns, but hope to add a few one-off designs. I'm just getting started with this little adventure.

Try the Judikins Diamond Glaze - it works well - and brush very slowly with a soft brush to avoid bubbles, then heat quickly and minimally with a small heat gun to pop any tiny stubborn bubbles before drying the tubes for a few days.

Happy Monday - Bob

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks, Bryan!

I'm ever fascinated by the pendulum that swings between artistic uniqueness and scientific reproducibility - two poles stoked by curiosity and wonder.

- Bob

Top Bottom