BCHR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Another one that's not so easy to photograph.

attachment.php

attachment.php

As always, thank your for looking and a special thanks to those who care to comment or critique.

Attachments

• _DSC0703.jpg
    _DSC0703.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 719
  • _DSC0704.jpg
    _DSC0704.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 737
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rsmith

did you chase that yourself on ebonite or something, or was it already done? If so, what did you use? Thats not easy to do by hand:wink:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Kinda looks like stitched leather. It definitely looks classy! In no way do I consider myself qualified to give advice on photography, but do you think it might photograph better on a lighter background? Dark on Dark makes it kind of difficult to see. (I do see some fingerprints on the front section, however :rolleyes:)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
According to an online dictionary of Acronyms, one of the 4 definitions is "BCHR Black Chased Hard Rubber (early fountain pens)"
Did you make that pattern? Its an extremely handsome pen - reminding me more of leather.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Yes, this is black, chased, hard-rubber (ebonite). I hand chased it with my design. The turning is easy, but the chasing...not so much. It was quite a challenge for me, since I'm really a wood guy.

rsmith

Lou, if you don't mind me asking, how was the chasing done? did you make a die of some sort and use heat, or did you just use pressure to etch into it? nice throwback to some early design with a modern twist with that kit. well done and very difficult

Fred

Excellent turning and craftsmanship. Great job!

A suggestion: Put this pen on a very clean mirror and carefully light it. Try it and see what you think of the image. :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sorry Lou, I never like to insult someones work but when I look at this and compare to the beautiful one you gave me, I have to say that you need to stick to 'pretty wood pens'. To me, this looks like tool chatter marks.:frown::wink:

PaulDoug

I don't dislike, but not in love with it either. I think part of the problem is it is on such an elegant kit and the blank is so basic looking. They just don't work together to my eye. Great work though. Some will love it.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Lou, if you don't mind me asking, how was the chasing done? did you make a die of some sort and use heat, or did you just use pressure to etch into it? nice throwback to some early design with a modern twist with that kit. well done and very difficult

It's pressure etched and this was definitely not my first (or second or third) attempt. I will definitely have to practice more in order to insure more consistency in the chasing.

Excellent turning and craftsmanship. Great job!

A suggestion: Put this pen on a very clean mirror and carefully light it. Try it and see what you think of the image. :)

I will have to give that a try, Fred!

Sorry Lou, I never like to insult someones work but when I look at this and compare to the beautiful one you gave me, I have to say that you need to stick to 'pretty wood pens'. To me, this looks like tool chatter marks.:frown::wink:

Steven - I never take a critique as an insult. I'm not always thrilled with then end result of my effort. As for pretty wood pens, that's my first and true passion. Thank you for the honest criticism.

jskeen

Lou; I'm a little undecided on this one. I'm sure that it has a wonderful feel in the hand, and it is a vintage process, so an experienced collector would recognize it, but I'm not sure if it has that "gotta have that" feel to it. Of course, I'm not an experienced collector either :) As for the kit, I think it's a nice balance to the blank, a little gingerbread, but not overboard. I don't think it would have went as well with one of the Asian flavored kits at all, but that one works for me. Curious if the black ti statesman kit would have complimented it as well, or just looked blah. I really want to know how quick it sells if it makes it to the DC show, versus how many times it is picked up and put back down.

lazyguy

I like it. My first impression was the inside of a tire with a litle of the bias showing thru. A tire salesman might love it. I am impressed

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Lou , to me , this one looks great . I expect you will be more satisfied with the next one . This is interesting . Thanks for sharing .

Rfturner

I too am not completely sold on this design, it lookis more like tool chatter, however sometimes the picture does not do it justice. I may really like it if I saw it personally. It sounds like a good idea though

beck3906

Looks good to me.

Some will like it, some not. Bottom line though....

Will it sell?

I would almost bet there's a buyer ready for it.

broitblat

I really like the looks of the material (and what you've done with it) and the workmanship of the pen, but I'm not sure I like it on this kit. I don't know what other kit I'd prefer, though. Maybe a higher-end cigar?

Thanks for sharing.

-Barry

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Again, thank you for the thoughtful feedback. This one sold to an existing customer, so I will likely make another...hopefully better!

seamus7227

I think it is interesting to say the least. Thanks for the explanation on how you turned it, my first thoughts were the same as others, chatter.

bitshird

Lou, Until I read the explanation I thought it was made to simulate Braille, but I still thought it was uniquely different Now I appreciate the work that went into it. I think it would be a great technique for a kitless pen, to me it fights with the Statesman, but since it sold, it must have won the battle.

Top Bottom