BB pen # 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

This bowling ball material is great...Sheila, must have more :)

BBpen2a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

Ed,

That looks like $300.00 pen. I like it.

BTW, thanks for making the image a bit narrower. My browser does not auto adjust, and when somebody posts a very wide image in the forums, I have to side scroll[V] to read the following posts.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Ed, call Sheila for your commission [:)] After I stared at your work for a bit, I had to drop some hard-earned PayPal bits at POC for a dozen blanks.

PensofColor

Jeff, Ed is a terrific and talented guy, and we appreciate his tooting our horn. His compensation is in the mail! And, Jeff, your blanks are in the mail! Thanks for the order!

debturnswood

Boy I must be in the right swing, I am ordering the same thing the forum administrator orders! now to turn as well! If I gather the nerve when blanks and lathe arrive I may try to post a photo or two! best of turning Jeff. Keep up the terrific work Ed, thanks again Sheila.

Doghouse

I am waiting for my blanks to arive.

I have to get an awning up on the house so when they get here I can dive for the epoxy then the lathe. My spalted maple and crotch walnut blanks keep calling to me, but i look forward to the BB's more.

Ed, Thanks for the inspiration. I also have picked up some clay to make one of your pens from the magazine.

Doghouse

BTW, How do you make the cuts in the top like that? I assume it is after turning, then bandsaw? It makes for a nice finish and I would like to do something similar.

YoYoSpin

Dog, you're referring to the bottle stopper's top? Yes, after turning and sanding on the lathe, cut the top on the bandsaw at about a 45-degree angle, then sand a nice curve where the cut was made using a drum sander.

tipusnr

YoYoSpin, I your recent BB pen pictures you have contrasting colored rings. How did you do that. I almost thought you glued in rubber "o" washers but I've only seen them in black.

YoYoSpin

Bill, the red and black rings are common o-rings purchased from http://www.allorings.com/. The black one's are "Buna-N" and the red one's are "Silicone". They have dozens of different sizes...my pens are pretty thick (large), so I'm using a "-010" (in the photo below) and sometimes smaller, all the way down to a "-007". The 1/16†ring width is the smallest they make, and its still pretty wide. So, I always use a smaller ID o-ring, relative to the OD of the pen, that has to be stretched tightly around the piece, thus making the ring thinner, and I think...more attractive.
pen115b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom