BB lamiantions...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

Experimented today with laminating some of the bowling ball materials. Yellow glue does not work :), but here's what does:

Take two contrasting colors of BB blanks, and sand the interfacing ends flat (at an angle is nice), so there are no gaps when bonded together...I used a 8" disk sander. Then put the two pieces (un-glued, but put together butt to butt) in a drilling vice, and drill the brass tube hole all the way through the two pieces. Then glue-up and insert the brass tube in one of the BB pieces with some of the tube sticking out to accept the other BB piece. Now glue-up the 2nd BB piece where it will meet the 1st piece, and the still-exposed brass, and mount it, butt to butt with the 1st BB piece. I used a generous amount of medium thickness CA, and clamped the resulting assembly up for about an hour. Next, square the blank's ends and turn as you normally would.

Purple & White:
BBpen8a.jpg

Daniel

Ed,
I was looking at all your laminated pen photos adn they arre very nice combos. I need to learn the rules of color combinations better. i usually have to copy what others have used.
It also looks liek you got results like I did. very strong tight joints at teh laminations. I don't even see a glue line in mine like I usually do with wood. I didn't need to sand my pieces but that has more to do withthe saw I used than anything. my new redial arm saw will cut paper thin slices with pre sanded surfaces. I hope it makes a whole new demension in my pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom