A batch for the local Iron Workers Union

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Local Iron Workers Union asked for a dozen re-bar pens. Made from #4 re-bar, tubeless design, drilled and reamed the re-bar to be exact fit like a Sierra tube.

Attachments

• Re-bar set.jpg
    Re-bar set.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 549
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

The thought of a re-bar pen didn't do much for me until I clicked on the picture and saw them ..... WOW! they really go great matched with that kit too! Well done!

aggromere

That's really cool. I can't even imagine how you would go about making those pens, but, if I was an Iron Worker, I would want one!

You might want to ask them to introduce you to some other local unions in the area. You might be able to sell special pens to the bricklayers (cast brick dust), carpenters (wood, haha), elecrical workers, wire or copper, sheet metal workers, an aluminum blank, etc. Part of my career was spent setting up health & Welfare and Pension trusts for unions and they are a close group.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Look neat! Really a fitting design for the iron workers.
Do you coat the rebar with something ?

Thanks, per their request, they are not coated or seriously wire brushed. I filled a Tupperware container with sand and blanks and put it in the lathe at 250 RPM for an hour to get the worst of the rust off, then hand brushed a few spots.

For the ones I make for non Iron Workers, I power wire brush and coat with lacquer.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
How much do they weigh? Did you use a particular/special drill bit to drill them?

They weigh 52g

Drilling is a bit of a trick question!

I picked up one of those boxes of several twist drill in each of various sizes on sale at Woodcraft. Drilled one pass at 1/4" and one pass at 3/8" then the trick, a 0.391" Chucking Reamer that drills a perfect 0.391" hole which is the I.D. of a Sierra tube.

For the twist drills, I used each bit for a few blanks and set it aside for sharpening some day when I get a Drill Doctor.

As the Chucking Reamer was only removing a few thousandths, I did not worry about it going dull on me. This reamer has over 3 dozen re-bar pens so far and still appears fine.

ctubbs

Wonderful pens! I have to cut rebar from time to time and find that one cut works fine while the next cut may take three or more blades. I do not envy the work in trying to drill that much rebar. Congratulations of a job well done!
Charles

jttheclockman

Nice job and great idea. If you had a way of putting a local number on ther it would even be better. Wonder how a decal would hold up on the finial of the pen. Can I ask what you are getting for them???

Last edited:

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Wonderful pens! I have to cut rebar from time to time and find that one cut works fine while the next cut may take three or more blades. I do not envy the work in trying to drill that much rebar. Congratulations of a job well done!
Charles

I use bi-metal blades and have yet to break one, while my original blade broke early on.

Drilling was actually not that bad, I did it assembly line style. I had 18 blanks ready and drilled 1/4" on all of them, tossing the bit in the sharpen pile every 4 or 5 blanks. Then went to 3/8" and did 6 or 7 before swapping bits. The worst part was actually keeping the work area clean enough to work safely and accurately.

I still have 6 or so blanks to ream 0.391 then turn tapers on.

Top Bottom