Basketweave Sketchers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Done by request, but gave me an opportunity to try putting a finish on textured pieces, something I've been wanting to do for awhile. One rosewood and 2 padauk - one unfinished and one finished. For the finished ones, used the relatively new Woodturners Finish cut 50/50 with water in an air brush.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rosewood SP sm.jpg
    Rosewood SP sm.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 643
  • Padauk FSP sm.jpg
    Padauk FSP sm.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 664
  • Padauk USP sm.jpg
    Padauk USP sm.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 671
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluwolf

Bruce, that is very cool! Is it comfortable to write with? They look like they could go either way. Not comfortable, or your fingers can settle in all around the weave and it makes it easier to hold the pen.

Mike

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
And how does one go about doing something like that?
Done with a CNC. 60 passes with a 1/32" bit. Pattern repeats 5 times with alternating height adjustments then indexes and repeats for the next 5 times.

Love the basketweave on the sketchers. They look good with the new finish. Are you happy with the finish?
A little mixed with the finish. For these, I like the protection but would like to soften it a bit. May try a little steel wool or soft brush. Haven't tried buffing as I don't want to leave compound in the valleys.

Bruce, that is very cool! Is it comfortable to write with? They look like they could go either way. Not comfortable, or your fingers can settle in all around the weave and it makes it easier to hold the pen.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Actually for me they look better than they feel.

wizard

Those are beautiful Bruce!! Was the dilution of the Woodturners Finish to get it to form a better aerosol from the airbrush ?...did it help get the finish into the deeper areas of the pattern? Regards, Doc

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Those are beautiful Bruce!! Was the dilution of the Woodturners Finish to get it to form a better aerosol from the airbrush ?...did it help get the finish into the deeper areas of the pattern? Regards, Doc

Thanks Doc - I may lose my man card, but that's what the instructions said on the bottle.:)

PR_Princess

Very cool Bruce!!

The basket weave that you did for the Bash was AWESOME...but I think I like these even better!!! Just something about contrast between the CNC'd wood and the metal parts of the sketcher seems to really makes it pop for me.

Nice!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom