Basketweave on Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from laserturner

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserturner

200592752354_Basketweave1.jpg

I engraved a basketweave pattern awhile back on a reel seat for a fly rod maker and liked the pattern. He gave me the OK to use his artwork so I thought I'd see what it would look like engraved on a gentleman's pen from CSUSA from axis antler.

It was initially an exercise in alignment but I thought it turned out
interesting enough to post.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

That is really great work Ken. I can see the makings of a Halloween type pen with that same style of work into a Skull and bones design. Thanks for sharing.

Fangar

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Now that is too cool... what would it cost to have a pen done like that Ken...
Was thinking about how neat that would look on a piece of wood... kind of like a basketweave leather belt..

lkorn

Griz beat me to it, I had the same thoughts. How much?

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Now that is too cool... what would it cost to have a pen done like that Ken...
Was thinking about how neat that would look on a piece of wood... kind of like a basketweave leather belt..

Rifleman1776

I didn't reply yesterday when you posted this because my comment would have been "With laser engraving, anything is possible." I didn't post because I was concerned that was a bit deprecating and an insult to the actual pen making. But, after second thoughts, I am now of the opinion that laser engraving is bringing vast new possibilities to, not only pen making, but many creative arts and crafts. What you have done is demonstrate art and ingenuity using space-age high-tech tools. I like the looks and compliment your creativity.

laserturner

The reel seat that I put it on was turned from Padauk. Came out looking pretty cool. I engraved the antler to get the most contrast.
Thanks for the compliment and your point of view Frank. Over the past 1-1/2 years, 4 of my customers have bought their own laser engravers. All of them turn pens. It's definitely gaining popularity in the arts and crafts fields. Endless possibilities.

btboone

Great idea Ken. The pen looks just like a basket woven pen should look. The limits of lasers in penmaking are the limits we have in creativity! That's great stuff. I'm going to check into one of the new high output lenses for mine to get my spot size down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom