Bash Stimulation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

After seeing all the fabulous pens entered in the contests this year I decided that I had better attempt to lift my game.:eek:

This pen is the standard Saturn chrome, but the blank is Corian which I have never used before, I know that this material is not new but it is for me. The other thing I did was to incorporate 4 Aluminium inserts into the blank which was also a very first for me.

C & C welcome and thanks for looking.

Bob.:biggrin:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 165
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice Bob.

I have some small pieces of corian thats been looking at me for about 6 months... Did you use CA for the glue up? And did you drill the aluminum before, or simply make a total blank then drill and turn?

Bob Wemm

Very nice Bob.

I have some small pieces of corian thats been looking at me for about 6 months... Did you use CA for the glue up? And did you drill the aluminum before, or simply make a total blank then drill and turn?

Hi Mark,

I used 5 minute epoxy for the glue up, drilled the blanks and aluminium separately, cut and squared the end pieces then assembled all the bits onto the tubes with epoxy and clamped the whole lot in the vise. Then cut off the spare bits on each end and squared up as usual.:biggrin:

Hope that makes sense.

Bob.

OZturner

Very Nice Segmented Pen, Bob.
Did you use a Coke, Swan, West end or Emu, can?
As you can tell this is a very important and intelligent question.

Great Profile and Lines.
Love the Blank, and is set Beautifully with the Aluminium Inserts.
Your Fit and Finish, is Terrific,
Fantastic Work.
Congratulations,
Brian.

mmyshrall

Nicely done, Bob. I have not had a desire to turn Corian, but the color blank you chose is making me re-evaluate that position.

I think the segmenting was a nice touch and the fit/finish look good. I keep promising that I will start segmenting with either aluminum or brass soon. With two dissimilar materials, did you run into any issues during the sanding/finishing phase? I ask because when I used a bit of PR for a custom center band on an alumilite blank once, the sanding was a bit weird for me. I just chalked it up to a hardness difference between the two materials.

Thanks for sharing,
Michael

Bob Wemm

Very Nice Segmented Pen, Bob.
Did you use a Coke, Swan, West end or Emu, can?
As you can tell this is a very important and intelligent question.

Great Profile and Lines.
Love the Blank, and is set Beautifully with the Aluminium Inserts.
Your Fit and Finish, is Terrific,
Fantastic Work.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thanks Brian,
Not a beer can unfortunately, it was a piece of sheet Aluminium, I thought that a can might be too thin.

Cheers,
Bob.:biggrin:

Bob Wemm

Nicely done, Bob. I have not had a desire to turn Corian, but the color blank you chose is making me re-evaluate that position.

I think the segmenting was a nice touch and the fit/finish look good. I keep promising that I will start segmenting with either aluminum or brass soon. With two dissimilar materials, did you run into any issues during the sanding/finishing phase? I ask because when I used a bit of PR for a custom center band on an alumilite blank once, the sanding was a bit weird for me. I just chalked it up to a hardness difference between the two materials.

Thanks for sharing,
Michael

Michael,
The Corian is softer than PR and I found when I sanded that the Alum. was raised so I filed it slightly below the Corian level and resanded. Finished up well.

Cheers,
Bob.

johncrane

Nice seg work Bob! any iron in the rock.

Hi John,
No iron mate, just lead(Galena). From Geraldine lead mine, est 1848.

Cheers
Bob.

G'day Bob i was thinking iron because the Iron Ore mines near to you,having a better look now you can see the lead,do you use the lead or just into collecting Rocks as i do, back to your pen i forgot to say i like the way you shaped the nib end and tapered it back to the clip looks good.

tgsean

Great pen Bob, well done mate. Where did you get the corian from? The aluminium inserts look great. I have not tried segmented pens or inserts still! I am encouraged now to try it.

Top Bottom