A Baseball Pen for a a Little Hero

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Assembled this a few weeks ago for a 10 year old patient with an autoimmune disorder that attacked a specific area of his brain.

When I first saw him, he had gone through a lot...headaches, depression, disrupted thought processes, deterioration of motor functions including handwriting and coordination that kept him from his favorite sport of baseball. Classmates teased and bullied him because of his tics or involuntary motor movements in class.

After treatment, it took about six weeks for the inflammation in his brain to subside...his coordination and reaction time improved and last week I cleared him to play.... At the end of the appointment when he was leaving I gave him this pen .....He looked surprised, had a big smile and hugged me. It sort of took me by surprise when he asked me why I was giving it to him. I told him that it was because I admired him and that he was somebody that I would call a hero.

Doc:)

Edit: Just wanted to add that the sports blank is the beautiful work of Keith Henning:)

Attachments

• BlackTitanium Baseball Pen.jpg
    BlackTitanium Baseball Pen.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

Wow, that is inspirational on a large number of levels! That was really great of you... I don't know what else to say!

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I admire you for seeing the child as a hero..... this must have made his day and yours too....

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Doc your twice as good of person as you are a pen turner and your one of best pen turners that I know.

stonepecker

Wizard.....You are the man.

You make me proud of the human race. Thanks for the care you give and the lessons you hand us all. May we all live up to the standards you do.

ossaguy

That's a great thing you did,it choked me up.

You really made a difference in his life,that he will never forget.Way to go!

The pen looks fantastic,BTW.

Steve

anthonyd

Hi Doc,

I am a teacher and have experienced many times how a child will treasure a small act of kindness. What you did will grow with him to adulthood.

Tony

OKLAHOMAN

To those that have met Doc this is no surprise, one of the most gentle and caring person you'll ever meet. Doc you've made my day with your kindness ....and the pen's not bad either:wink:.

PenPal

Morning Doc,

Great to hear from you again beaut thing you did and again totally in character mate.

Loved the pen, admire the maker and on this Fathers Day here I wish all Dads were like you.

Kind regards Peter, Happy Fathers Day my mate.

Tage

snip....He looked surprised, had a big smile and hugged me. It sort of took me by surprise when he asked me why I was giving it to him. I told him that it was because I admired him and that he was somebody that I would call a hero.

I just wanted to add my two cents....first of all great pen, but more importantly, you, sir are a hero as well. The medical treatment of this young man was obviously important, but you treated the whole patient. You were aware of the road he has traveled and addressed and honored what he has been through so that he can mentally heal from his experience as well. I've been through a lot with my own son's autonomic dysfunction, and I've found that what separates good doctors from great doctors is exactly what you did. I applaud you and God bless.

its_virgil

All I can say is WOW!! What an awesome story from one awesome doctor! I have truly enjoyed the few stories you have shared with us. This one tops the list.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

wizard

Jeez...Those comments made me turn a couple of shades of embarrassed.

These kids with PANDAS endure much pain and suffering yet most never give up hope and still try their best to brighten the days of others with a smile and a hug. Each and every one of them have been my teachers... reminding me every day of the resilience of the human spirit.
Doc:)

Incredible story...

Doc,

Thank you for taking such good care of our little "hero." This story really touched the old heart strings. Have tears in these old eyes.

I am most fortunate to have among my doctors a few outstanding ones. My Chiropractor, GP and Cardiologist.

Would you put together a tutorial on the construction of that particular pen?
There are many out here who would like to know how.

Thank you,

Charlie
Lawrenceville GA 30043:handshake:

OKLAHOMAN

Charlie, these blanks are kit specific, they are made by Keith in the Sierra, Cigar,Jr. Series and Full sized Gent series (which includes the Emperor and the Majestic). There is no turning involved all you need to do is follow the instructions for assembly for the kit you buy it for. Hope this answers your question.

Doc,

Thank you for taking such good care of our little "hero." This story really touched the old heart strings. Have tears in these old eyes.

I am most fortunate to have among my doctors a few outstanding ones. My Chiropractor, GP and Cardiologist.

Would you put together a tutorial on the construction of that particular pen?
There are many out here who would like to know how.

Thank you,

Charlie
Lawrenceville GA 30043:handshake:

Top Bottom