Barons went flat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

I was making a couple of barons yesterday and they just wne flat on me. Maybe a bearing going out on my lathe. Better get it checked out. Or, I could leave it..they look rather nice. Actually, the facets were done with a now out of production ornamental mill called a MillLathe made by the MillLathe Co. in Louisian. I turned the pens to round, cut a narrow cove down to the bushing to serve as a transition and cut the flats(8 sides) using a 3/8 router bit powered by a Foredom tool and the 44T handpiece. Sanded each facet to 1000 and applied a rubbed on CA/BLO finish and buffed lengthwise only to keep the sharp edges. The blue acrylic did not get the CA...just sanding to 1000 and buffing. The flats are more difficult to capture on the plastic and I don't think I like the white swirls and the flats together.Enjoy and as always...
do a good turn daily!
Don

2005830419_bloodwood%20baron%20flats.jpg

2005830447_blue%20AA%20flats.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deere41h

Don.......Those are really cool. The flats give it a nice textured look. I do like them. Was it difficult to get a good finish on the wood? Sanding must have been a bear!

WoodChucker

Don, neat idea and they both look great! But I think you better set the bar a little higher and make one that's twelve sided now. [:D]

PenWorks

Great job Virgil, they came out really nice. I agree with you the blue resin is a touch to busy for that atyle of pen. But the flats are deffinately noticeable in the photos.

Mr. Legacy

its_virgil

Thanks all. I did a a dodecagon(that's twelve sided for you math challenged persons) and did it n=in bocote with heavy grain. A bit too much. I put it back on the lathe and turned it into a normal el Grande. I will stick with plain wood with little grain like the bloodwood and do another 12 sider tomorrow. The pens really feel good in hand and look much better in person.

I sanded the flats one at a time...sand-sand-sand-sand-turn-sand-sand-sand-sand-turn-loose count- by placing the sandpaper on a corian table top. Hand cramps big time. I tried to hand rub a CA finish but will change to lacquer for the next ones.

John, maybe you'll get to make one at SWAT. Bring a baron or elgrande kit and I'll bring the mill and we'll play with it during one of the free turning times and you can go home with a faceted pen.

Thanks for all the favorable comments. And if anyone disliked the blue/white pen its ok...I didn't like it either. It may become round tomorrow also.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom