A Baron for the Wife - "Glacier" resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

karlkuehn

Banned
This is one of my new "Glacier" resins - I'll have some of these for sale in my classified listing soon.

My wife wanted a fountain pen. She's happy, I'm happy, you know! :) This is one of my best pens by far

Custom cap finial turned from the leftover blank after cutting to length. Custom center band ring - same deal. I super glued the block to a waste stick in my scroll chuck.

finish is mm12000, scratch remover, black magic wax. The kit is a Baron from AS. Painted the holes with white acrylic prior to epoxy

This was a fun pen to turn, got to try a couple new things!

ResinGlacier1_1.jpg

ResinGlacier1_2.jpg

ResinGlacier1_3.jpg

ResinGlacier1_4.jpg

Comments and musings welcome! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

Karl---Beautiful pen, blank, embellishments. I get how to do the finial thingy, but how did you do the centerband?

Dan

ldb2000

Hi Karl
That is one fantastic pen but I have a question...if you can make blanks that look like that why are you sucking up all the good wood blanks like a giant hoover...[}:)][:p][:0]:D:D

ldb2000

Ok I'm buying that....for a buck three eighty....:D[}:)]:D....all joking aside that looks really beautiful she will be very happy .
PS.She might even let you buy some more blanks ;)

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Dan_F

Karl---Beautiful pen, blank, embellishments. I get how to do the finial thingy, but how did you do the centerband?

Dan

It was fairly simple to do the center band, I was really surprised how easy, actually. I'll be doing a lot more of these for other pens as well.

All I did was glue the little leftover piece of the blank to a 3" long chunk of waste wood and stick it in a 2" chuck. I figured out the drill bit size I'd need by sliding the stock center band ring onto the bits till I found what I was looking for(in this case it was a for the Baron), and chucked the bit into the tailstock and drilled it in a little ways into the block.

Then, I just turned the little ring like a bead, almost parting it off the whole way. Polished it and parted it off into my hand, and trimmed any excess with a hobby blade. It just slid right onto the center band where the stock one used to go.

As for the finial, I just turned the little tenon onto the finished piece and parted it off at about 3/16". It's a pressure fit, but I also put a little glue on the inside of the cap to lock it into place, just in case.

Both of these embellishments were really easy, and a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to doing more, the Euros and cigars are going to get this center band treatment as well. I just bought 10 of the little threaded finial studs for the Euros from CSUSA. They were kind of spendy at $1.25 each, until I got the shipment today and realized that price was for 5 of them, so now I have 50. heh...I'll be making a lot of custom finials at that price!

I can't wait to start making more of my own parts I didn't realize it was so much fun! :)

As far as casting lessons, Richard Greenwald just did a great tutorial here, with everything (mostly ;)) that I do in it:

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2008/greenwaldpolyresin.pdf

Top Bottom