Baron, in Ti Gold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gtriever

gtriever

I almost gave up on this one several times because of all the chipout and voids. Now I'm glad I didn't. Hmmm... I wonder how these blanks would look on a pair of Gold Mistrals?

Baron_AppleWood1_web.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Very nice! I am glad that you didn't give up. I would like to try that. I just had a 20% off coupon - maybe it will still work.

eharri446

One thing, that I do know is DO NOT attempt to stabilize them. A friend of mine tried it on the one with the long stems and it came completely apart.

I have a set and have been putting off turning them until it is warm out side so that I can open the garage door. I need to have the door open so that I can soak them in CA as I turn them.

gtriever

Thanks to all, the comments are much appreciated. I've decided to attempt these blanks on a matched Ti Gold Mistral Ballpoint and Pencil set. And in my warped brain, the thought came that someone should do one of these in a Bolt Action - you could market it as "Orchard Camo" - :biggrin:

gtriever

Very attractive. Tell us about the blank.

First, from PSI's web site:

"Made from the natural branches of harvested apple orchard trees, these imaginative blanks will create an exquisite appearance. In the ultimate re-cycling process, the tree branches are cut, compressed and resin impregnated to create a solid blank block - then cut to size and shape. Supplies are limited because these apples are harvested only once a year."

Instructions are included for turning these blanks. They recommend wiping them down with a thin coat of CA before doing anything with them, which I did. Before I started turning them, I replaced both carbide cutters on my tools (Ci2-SQ and Ci3). I set my lathe speed to its highest (3200 rpm).

Even with new carbide and a VERY light touch I found them to be very prone to chipout (which I expected), and there were a few small voids in the blank as well. Rather than soaking the entire blank, I used thin CA to touch up the smaller pinhead pits or thin cracks, and medium CA for the "larger" gaps of 1/16 to 1/8 inch or so. No major "craters", at least in this blank; even the larger gaps were only about 1/16 deep...

The key to this thing was patience, and more patience... and more patience. Oh, and lots of CA. It is not a blank that you can burn through in a couple of minutes. I spent an hour or more turning it. I took it down close to finished size, sanded it to 1000 grit, and finished it with 9 coats of WTF (CA and I do not get along very well).

Would I do it again? Now that I know what to expect - Yes. YMMV

superjet96

I ordered one of those blanks and haven't turned it yet. It comes with instructions/cautions. It may as well have just had "good luck" written on it. I am almost looking forward trying it hehe.

DB in VT

I have also turned a couple of these. They are a real son-of-a-gun, too. The finished product is stunning. you did a great job.
I have been thinking about creating one of these on my own. I think I can use small twigs from one of the trees on my property and cast them with Alumilite.

gtriever

Beautiful pen and work. And, yes - these blanks would be dazzling on gold Mistrals!

And... here they are. Mistral Ballpoint and Pencil in Titanium Gold with Rhodium Accents, and Short-grain Applewood.

Mistral_AppleWoodPair2_web.jpg Mistral_AppleWoodPair1_web.jpg

This batch of blanks from PSI wasn't nearly the quality of the first batch; it took (5) blanks to make this pair because of all the blowouts both on drilling and turning. After that, this may be one of those 'Never Again' items.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If it's a "never again," you have done an excellent job on the three. They are a very striking blank.

Well done.

SteveAxelrod

That's a striking pair and looks great in the box! I've "turned" several cork and resin blanks using a flap disc because the cork was so prone to tear out. It worked really well and the pen was turned in virtually no time. Maybe that would be a viable method for this blank?

Top Bottom