Baron / Sedona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from samuel07

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel07

Here is a little experiment.

Comments welcomed on the pen and the photo.
Thanks,

200711744618_pic.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I'm no expert when it comes to birdseye, but that seems lacking in eyes.

Was the experiment with the finish?

samuel07

I'm no expert when it comes to birdseye, but that seems lacking in eyes.

Was the experiment with the finish?

I was practicing with the camera so most of the pronunced birdseyes are on the other side of the pen.
The expiriment was the Sedona centerband on the Baron Kit. The finish is one of my first attemts at a rubbed in laquer. I think I didn't get enough coats on it. But I'm very happy with it. It has a little more gloss than what the picture shows but definately not high gloss.

Skye

Rubbed in lacquer? Do you think there's going to be an improvement over dipping or spraying? I've sprayed a few, they always seem... soft. They're not soft, but there's just something tacky feeling about them. I cant put my finger on it (no pun intended).

samuel07

Skye
This method of application appeals to me because of the control it gives me with the amount of product I apply. I will be trying some spraying at some point with my badger airbrush, I just hate to break out the airbrush when I'm only working on one pen. Do you prefer dipping over spraying or visa versa?

Thanks for the input, The finish on the pens in your album are beautiful.

Skye

Thanks man. I've not posted a pic with the lacquer. All mine in my album are CA. I've sprayed (rattlecan) maybe 3 pens, none of them I was impressed with so I didnt bother to upload them. I think airbrushing may be the ticket. I've never dipped them either, but Billy (alamocdc) has some awesome looking dipped ones and was the reason I bought a can. I just havent used it yet, lol Check out his tips on dipping and using homemade bushings to get a smooth flow. Good looking stuff.

jtate

Can you explain how you did the rubbed lacquer? I've dipped lacquer and I really like it. (James, feel free to chime in here - how's that finish holding up?) I want to try rubbed lacquer but I can't find instructions.

Julia

samuel07

Can you explain how you did the rubbed lacquer?

Here is a quick explination of how I've been doing this, but only time will tell on the durability.

1. Sand blank to 400 grit.
2. Applied Deft sanding sealer with paper towel with lathe running at about 800rpm. Let dry maybe 10 minutes and do again.
3. Wait until next day and then sand with 400 grit again and then MM through 12000.
4. with lathe running at 800rpm I'd drizzle undiluted Deft laquer on top of the blank with a folded Viva paper towel on the bottom trying to get as even a coat as I can across the blank.
5. leave the lathe running and the laquer evens out nicely.
6. Repeat as needed.

You can get maybe three coats on in an evening but usually I only get two on in an evening. I'm finding that if you get lines in the finish from the previous coat that you can even it out on the next coat by rubbing the blank (lathe running) with a towel wetted with laquer.

Please understand that This is a new process to me but I'm liking the results.
OBTW
The pen in this post never saw a final sanding or buffing at the end. what you see is what came of the lathe.
I will try to buff the next one to bring out more gloss.

arioux

Hi,

Nice job on the pen and finish. Same technique as i use for a long time now. Using padding lacquer. If you have a VS lathe, crank up the speed at the end, accelerating the movement of the paper towel on the blank. This will accelerate the dry time for the first coat and help even out the finish, no lines this way. I usually give a second coat 15 min after. then let cure overnight and like you, two more coat the next day. For production pen (slim and less than $25. pen), i stop there. For high end i will put up to 6 to 8 coat this way. I have some pens around for 2 years now and they still have their finish.

Alfred

Alfred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom